Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Diesel, Hard to start...

Old 05-01-2009, 05:22 PM
jamie640
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel, Hard to start...

I have an 03 dodge 2500 4x4 diesel with 140k miles. I'm thinking this is a commmon problem with most 24v 5.9's? When you go to start it, it takes about 3 seconds or more of turning over before she'll fire up. Is there a problem with a check valve, or injectors? THanks,

Old 05-08-2009, 09:10 PM
amercier

I have the same truck with almost the same miles (138k). Depending on temperature, I've noticed the truck takes anywhere from 1-3 seconds to fire up. Faster when it's warm and slower when it's cold. Never really thought this was a problem, especially for a diesel. I've driven other diesels that can crank for 5 or more seconds before turning over.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:31 AM
st2pd

Your starting problem does not sound too bad but it may get worse. It depends on what you think is normal. The engine should start within three seconds depending on how cold it is and if you wait for the WTS light to go out. If you do not allow the intake heaters to heat and try to start it right away it may crank for a little longer and run rough. If the engine is hard to start all of the time you may have an internal fuel leakdown. One or more fuel injectors may develop a small leak at the high pressure connector point inside the cylinder head and can be tested with an injector return test. Sometimes a power programmer can cause an injector to crack and allow fuel to enter the engine oil but an engine performance issue would also be noticed. Transfer pump failures can cause this but along with the injectors, it must be volume tested to isolate the failure. If you are concerned, take it to a reputable diesel shop or your dealer if they have a diesel tech.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Cummins12Valve

Hey, I got a 96 Cummins 12valve, we aint the same truck but I get some pretty bad winters and ive found when you turn the key and wait for the fuel to get warmed (WTS light) to go off if you cycle it 3 times sometimes 4 I find it fires my truck up that much Stronger, she'll fire up in a second anyways but it seems to like that on the bone chilling -25 BC mornings of Course Saskatchewan would be alot worse than BC haha

you didn't mention if it was still real cold round your place but hope that helps you

Old 05-17-2009, 11:38 AM
loveshackhauler

Hi.

Same truck - only 2WD - but same miles (134,000)
Same starting lag. I haven't noticed an unusually long start time, unless you count when the filter clogged last week - that sucked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diesel, Hard to start...