2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

truck starts then dies

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 01:31 AM
rafter40
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck starts then dies

2000 ram 1500 sport 360
my truck will start and then immediately die. i can force it to continue running by giving it gas, but when i take my foot off the throttle it just stops running. i thought it might be the fuel filter, or some other gas restriction, but i have to take the gas tank out to replace it? i dont know if this is a common problem but any help is greatly appeciated.

just some extra info, this just started happening today after my battery drained cause i left my damn lights on(i dont think it is related) and after trying to jump my car it still didnt work. randomly my truck started twice, but then wouldnt start again after i drove it for a lil.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:58 AM
xxxSportxxx

Sounds like it could be your Idle Air Control valve

Old 05-15-2009, 04:16 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Could also be the MAP sensor. I've unplugged my MAP before out of curiosity, and your problem is exactly what it did.

I'd check the IAC motor first, as it is cheaper to replace if its broken. Only about $40 or so. The MAP sensor is almost $100.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:08 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

remove IAC, clean the well in the back of the TB and make sure there is an open hole into tb. replace IAC. don't forget the o-ring. about $40-50 at and parts store.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:30 AM
rafter40

i was at a quarter tank and just added 8 gallons of 93 octane fuel from shell. it seems to be running a lot better, but i was considering replacing my iac and tps before this happened. maybe it will help aswell. i havent driven it enough to say problem fixed. another symptom i noticed before i went to the gas station was that when it was idling fine, and i reved it, the engine had a hard time continuing to run after that. thanks again guys

Quick Reply: truck starts then dies