Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Blown amp

Old 05-13-2009, 06:48 PM
tigerhornet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown amp

I think my amp is blown (sony xm-1252gtr). the light inside comes on, but not as brightly as it should. I checked the power wire and the REM wire, both have power. I tried to check the signal wires from the stereo, i don't really know how to accurately check those, but the sound in the speakers changed when i messed with it, so i assume its doing something. I checked the speaker wire going from the amp to the sub, and it gets absolutely no voltage whatsoever. checked the terminals too, just to make sure it wasnt something wrong with the wires, and none of them work. Not bridged (how i had it), or on either of the channels independently.

so is it the amp, or is the connection with the stereo wrong (also possible). It just kindve randomly happened, i hadnt been messing with the stereo or the amp or anything.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:44 AM
audioaddict
Professional

Whether the amp is bad or not, I suggest replacing it. Sony amps are crap

Old 05-14-2009, 01:51 AM
blackram1500
Veteran

I agree sony amps are crap and if your not going to replace it ( don't know why not ) if the light is dimming then check for a good ground or you got some wire shorting out.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:56 PM
tigerhornet

well, now it's decided to work like for one beat every 30 seconds (which by the way is about the most annoying thing on earth). I'm gonna pull the fuses and check 'em if i can figure out how to get them out, they seem impossible to get out.

If it is blown, how about the Kicker ZX350.2? The rated rms wattage is the same as the sony (350), which is about as close to the sub wattage (400) as i can find without going over. And sonicelectronix has the '06 model for $180.

One of my friends suggested the 500w rms sony, but seeing your responses to my current amp, i'm guessing you would consider that one out of the question. haha.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:42 AM
ben2080

It sounds like it could be blown. I blew a Pioneer amp and it did the same thing you said with it working every so often except mine wouldn't even be on. I would recommend the Kicker amp over the Sony. I had a Sony amp for a little bit and I didn't like it, the specs they put on the amps are blatant lies anyway. I have a Kicker amp hooked up to my subs that I love. I have had it for like three years and never had any problems.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:47 AM
tigerhornet

ok, so I guess I've pretty much decided that the amp is blown, assuming you guys don't think it could be the RCA connection from the stereo or something (don't think that's what it is, considering if i turn it down low it works fairly well, but only on songs where its basically acoustic guitar and nothing else, bass drum, bass guitar, or anything else makes it die)

so would anybody like to help me with my next problem of finding a new amp? the CVT is rated at 400w RMS, which gives me two choices, a Kicker ZX350.2, and a ZX450.2. As the names imply, the 350.2 is a 2 channel that bridges to 350w rms, and the 450.2 bridges to 450w rms. Assuming it wouldn't blow the sub, I'd much rather get the 450. But the clips that used to hold in the accessory tray things behind the seats are still there, and i dont think i can fit the 450 in between them.

So I guess the questions are: will the 450w amp blow the 400w sub, and is there any way that you guys know to take out those clips so i'll have more space/ is there a better place to put the amp?

Old 05-16-2009, 12:04 PM
tigerhornet

Modification:
I asked tech support at Crutchfield (not planning on buying from them, but still), and the guy said that he's had people run 500w to the CVT and it still runs fine. So that part of the question is out. But still, is there a way to get those clips out or a better place to put the amp?

Old 05-18-2009, 09:33 AM
audioaddict
Professional

It's definetly not the audio source, it's a power issue. Check your ground point, make sure that you've scraped off the paint down to bare metal. If you're using a seat belt bolt or something, move your ground to some blank sheet metal.Check that you have a good in line fuse holder and that your head unit is putting out a constant 12v to your amp turn on wire when it's kicked on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blown amp