2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing Ball Joints. Do It Myself??

Old 05-18-2009, 01:05 PM
cosmorphis
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Ball Joints. Do It Myself??

I went to a mechanic/muffler shop today, because I've been having some numerous problems. He replaced my muffler, cause it was cracked and rattling in the back. I described my turning and squealing problem, and said it was the ball joints. I told him I can fix somethings myself, but he said there was no way I could that myself. It takes a special press, and a rivet gun. I peaked my head under there, and they sure are bad. I haven't check my Chilton's book yet, but I can't imagine it being something impossible, once I buy the right tools. What do you say? Thanks.

I forgot to mention, I have a 2001 Ram 1500, 2WD.

Last edited by cosmorphis; 05-18-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:13 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New ball joints come with bolts. So, just grind the heads off the rivets and hammer out the remaining part and bolt on the new ones. Go to your local autoparts store or Autozone and rent the tool to pop the ball joint stud out of the spindle.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:31 PM
cosmorphis
Amateur

Awesome!

Old 05-18-2009, 02:55 PM
helms
All Star

haha, i love mechanics that say you cant do certain jobs because you need tools like a balljoint press and a rivet gun.... like they are some sort of crazy specialized tool that only certain mechanics can get a hold of. do this yourself, save the money.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:30 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

mine were not that bad but mine is a 95 and you a 01 with rivets

if you get a loan tool get it from adavance auto if you can it has all the right cups,,

here's mine but it on a 95 so, take it with a gain of salt
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...placement.html

Old 05-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Steel Horse
Professional

There was a thread about this not to long ago. Some people are able to use that dam fork think but not alot. Some people use a torch to heat em up and then go at it, the heat breaks alot easier. Or do what i did and take a dam grinder to it.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:18 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by lv360ram
New ball joints come with bolts. So, just grind the heads off the rivets and hammer out the remaining part and bolt on the new ones. Go to your local autoparts store or Autozone and rent the tool to pop the ball joint stud out of the spindle.
Yep exactly. I've never done the ones on the Ram but did some on a Chevy Caprice and they were pretty easy. They took time but weren't hard at all. You don't need a rivet gun or anything like that.

You do however, need a special press. I got one pretty cheap from Harbor Freight but it's my understanding it doesn't have the size attachment needed to use on the Rams. However, Autozone and I think Advance Auto rent the presses out. That route is probably cheaper than the Harbor Freight one. I just wanted to own the press.

It's not a impossible job at all and plenty of people do them themselves. That guy at the shop just wanted your money.

BTW you will also need a pickle fork. Not sure if they rent those or not but they are really cheap. On the Chevy I did I saved a ton of money by doing it myself. I paid a shop to do it on my truck but wish I had done them myself.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:53 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a Ball Joint pickle fork from AutoZone for under $20.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:21 PM
cosmorphis
Amateur

Okay, my brother has a grinder he will let me borrow. I just got the ball joints from oreilly's, and some grease (bro has a grease gun too). I still don't understand what the pickle fork is for though--to disconnect the old ball joint from the spindle? It doesn't just come off?

Thanks a bunch for the help!

Old 05-18-2009, 10:36 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

[QUOTE=cosmorphis;1671861I still don't understand what the pickle fork is for though--to disconnect the old ball joint from the spindle? It doesn't just come off?

Thanks a bunch for the help![/QUOTE]

yep!!! back the ball joint nut of a little, stick in fork hit it lose, jack up lower c-arm undo nut then lower the c-arm,
Name:  truckss149.jpg
Views: 1872
Size:  116.8 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing Ball Joints. Do It Myself??