Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!
Old 08-06-2015, 11:53 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

AC evaporator repair instructions with pictures

Old 03-30-2009, 11:53 PM
mr_mahoney
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC evaporator repair instructions with pictures

Many thanks to Dodge Tech for posting the steps to replace the AC evaporator on a 1996-2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. I replaced the AC evap. on my 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan a few weeks ago using the instructions from Dodge Tech posted here: (original post)
I took pictures along the way so I could know how it went back together and to share with others.
I thank the Good Lord for answered prayers. I was talking to him a lot during this repair. Right when I was at my breaking point, I asked God for help and HE would guide through the tough spot. I tell people that I have never seen a wrench floating through the air, but I know I could not have done this job with the help of a higher power.

Here is the link for the complete article and pictures:
http://www.gearheadgospel.com/vanfix/
Below are a few samples. It was quite a chore. It took me about 12 hours to complete this job. If you decide to do this yourself, I highly recommend to pray to God and ask for help. When you get stuck, talk to God and tell him you need help. He is faithful and does answer prayers. Best of luck!

-Shawn

Last edited by mr_mahoney; 03-30-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:55 PM
mr_mahoney
Amateur
Default ac heater box

Old 04-23-2009, 01:02 AM
abort_retry

hi, great pics!...i am planning on replacing the front expansion valve on my 96 GC. can i do it without tearing down the dashboard? on the engine bay, loosening the center bolt on the expansion valve would release the aluminum retainer plate and so does the two a/c lines. once you have those out of the way, you will find two more hidden bolts that fastens the expansion valve from another retainer on the rear of it... how do you remove those two other bolts? from the engine bay? or from the inside of the evaporator housing, which in this case, it is a must to let go off the dashboard? thanks...

Old 04-23-2009, 01:07 PM
mr_mahoney
Amateur
Default expansion valve

You might have to remove the evaporator because I did have to tighten 2 screws from the evaporator side of the valve. Complete pics are here:
http://www.gearheadgospel.com/vanfix/

See bolts here:
http://www.gearheadgospel.com/vanfix/pictures/t22.JPG

Old 04-27-2009, 02:43 AM
abort_retry

thanks for the info. so there is really no shortcut into this...

Old 05-25-2009, 10:25 PM
ZEEMEDMAN94
Default 2000 Dodge Caravan A/C Evaporator Repair Pics

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I also have a 2000 Dodge Caravan with this same problem, and I'm very interested in the repair process and pictures to accomplish this task. I could not pull the pics/info. from this site, though I tried numerous times. I'm asking if someone could republish this how-to-help for me please, along with a professional opinion on whether the repair is a do-it-yourself repair or should it be left to the pros? Also, I've seen postings for the average cost of this repair! I just about stroked!
If possible, could someone also tell me the REAL WORLD and REASONABLE cost for such a repair. Thanks in advance...HELP!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 07:17 AM
mr_mahoney
Amateur
Default Images back online soon

I exceeded my monthly bandwidth allowance this month, so I am moving the article to another site and will post the images today. (hopefully) and the site will be back up June 1.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:34 AM
mr_mahoney
Amateur
Default A/C repair instruction pictures

The repair instructions have been relocated to here:

http://www.scsc.k12.in.us/mahoney/vanfix/

Last edited by mr_mahoney; 05-26-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:00 PM
abort_retry

i was able to replace the expansion valve without tearing down the dashboard. the two other hidden bolts are accessible after removing the a/c lines retaining plate held by a nut. since i am there i also replaced the a/c drier. it is now blowing cold air. a slight improvement from before. though i think it is not the optimum coldness because sometimes at idle, the a/c compressor is not disengaging. sometimes it does. and the odd thing is that the bigger a/c line that connects to the expansion valve on the engine bay is freezing up. you can see thick ice formation on that tube from the expansion valve end up to the tube end meeting the rubber hose line. if it freezes that much, there is not enough cold air blowing in the cabin. i have to turn off the a/c switch and turn it back on after a minute then it will start blowing slightly colder air. until the a/c line freezes that much again.... i already relocated the thermostat/thermoswitch wand that you poke on the evaporator fins at the bottom where the bigger line exits into.... same effect... any ideas!!!

Old 07-09-2010, 01:32 AM
CaravanHomer

I recently replaced the evaporator core on my 1999 Grand Caravan Sport 3.8L (188,000 miles and still going strong). I could not have completed the job without the instructions and photographs provided by mr_mahoney. However, if l ever had to do this again there are a few things I would add/alter in these instructions. I've put together a detailed set of instructions for the removal of the instrument panel here: https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=dd8cb9f9a29cbe4a&resid=DD8CB9F9A29C BE4A!103. This is a Microsoft Word document complete with pictures. As I'm not a professional mechanic use at your own risk but I will tell you that there are a few steps in here that will prevent you from breaking items missed in the existing instructions.

For the removal of the HVAC unit mr_mahoney’s instructions are great and therefore I did not duplicate that effort in the file above. I will suggest though that if you’re going to tackle this job make sure you have a ratcheting 10mm box-end wrench for the HVAC studs at the firewall. I also removed the alternator bracket (not the alternator itself) to give me more room.

One more thing, pick up some foam weather stripping to wrap around your new evaporator core. The foam from my old core was soaked in oil from the leak and needed to be replaced.

Last edited by CaravanHomer; 09-14-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC evaporator repair instructions with pictures