Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Just dies while driving, then "no bUS" and engine light

Old 06-06-2009, 04:03 PM
mini_mull
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just dies while driving, then "no bUS" and engine light

Hi, I have a 99 dodge ram van with 70K miles. It's a conversion with an TV/VCR and extra lights, etc. We bought it from my in laws when they were ready to trade it in and haven't had any problems with it until now. Today for the third time I'll be driving usually around 45mph and the engine just dies. All the gauges read in normal ranges before it dies. I pull off on the shoulder (thank goodness it always dies where there is a shoulder) turn off the ignition and wait. If I immediately try to crank it over again it turns over, but won't start and all the gauges don't work and the digital odometer says "no bUS" and the engine lights come on. If i let it sit for a few minutes before I try to crank it, then it starts right back up just like there was never a problem at all. I know the "no bUS" means the computer system isn't communicating, but I'm not sure if that is the root of my problem or not. I've taken it to our regular mechanic with no luck, and I'd really rather not spend the money on the dealer if I don't have to. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Old 06-06-2009, 04:50 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Sounds like your computer is failing when it gets hot.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:07 PM
mini_mull

Uhg! So would that most likely mean the computer is going bad or something else is getting too hot and shorting it out?

Old 06-06-2009, 07:46 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

It most likely means the computer is going bad.

You can get a used one fairly cheap here, just make sure you match up the number on the computer with any replacement one.
http://www.car-part.com/

Old 06-07-2009, 09:02 AM
kev2
Veteran

before throwing out the PCM lets try trouble shooting

any codes stored- might give direction
remote starter or aftermarket alarm - always problematic
any problem below 45mph- can you operate allday below 45?

there are conditions where the pcm will shut down
interupton of 5v - corossion OR after commanding a device ie egr - od- etc that circuit is shorted

the referance to above 45mph needed to set condition suggest a "down stream" problem... being sunday cannot get troubletrees.

most likely all test will begin "connect DRB" SORRY

Old 06-08-2009, 03:14 AM
mini_mull
Default died at 25mph today

Hi guys thanks for all the ideas. Just wanted to mention it died today half way down my street going 25mph. Is there any way to check for trouble codes wthout a scanner? BTW, we've had a lot of static electricity in the van for the last few months and some problems with the conversion lights and tv/vcr. Could some electrical short be causing the problem? Do these clues help or bring anyone to a new conclusion?

Old 06-08-2009, 09:50 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Turn the key on,off,on,off,on and watch for trouble codes to be displayed on the digital odometer.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:34 AM
BoxcarNY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem -- it causes my engine to stall while driving. It happens randomly once the engine reaches peak operating temp. I usually get it going again by pushing down on the third cluster plug on the PCM located (what a great design idea!?!?) right above the hot engine. Sometimes I have to wait till the temp drops a little. I turn the key to RUN position then push down or wiggle the cluster plug until I hear the rely click in the fuse box. Then it usually starts. I cannot seem to figure out if it's a bad connection on the plug (seems like a hundred wires!) or in the receptacle on the PCM. Sometimes it won't happen for a day or two but it always dies when I hit slow traffic. I've cleaned the contacts on both sides with no change.
Another marveous MOPAR design flaw.

I have the treatment but not the cure.

Does anyone have a definative cure for this?

Old 05-20-2011, 08:00 AM
markaylasdad

Hello all. A good friend of mine is having the same problem with his 2000 dodge ram 3500. Starts and runs untill it warms up,then dies and won't start. It will crank,but no spark.I replaced the crank sensor,coil , dist.pick-up and ultimately the E.C.M. Got a call this morning that it died again.Does this van have a cam sesnor? and could this be the problem? I am also wondering if it could be a ground problem.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:31 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by BoxcarNY
Does anyone have a definitive cure for this?
Absolutely...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujm9nsJYEqg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just dies while driving, then "no bUS" and engine light