2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Help On my 1998 Dodge 1500 4x4 5.9 Gas Wont start..

Old 06-18-2009, 03:33 AM
Hendogg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help On my 1998 Dodge 1500 4x4 5.9 Gas Wont start..

Well, here I go. I bought a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Extended Cab Sport edition, 4x4, with the auto tranny and the 5.9L V8 gas motor. It was not running at the time, and they said it needed a new distributor. It was not firing. The previous owner had taken it to an auto technician and they had said it was a timing chain. He put a new one on, and it still didn’t fire. He then told her it needed a new distributor, but she did not have any more money to put into the truck, so I bought it from her cheap. I installed a new crank position sensor and now its firing, but it won’t start. I pulled the engine apart and it looks like it should run just fine. I’ve checked everything I can think of. When it was pulled apart, we pulled the distributor out and reinstalled it based on how the manuals told us to, and now it won’t hit at all. I don’t know what to do, we’ve checked the timing, and its fine. The distributor is installed fine. It won’t do anything but crank. We checked compression on the cylinders and its between 140 and 150 psi on each one. Its firing and getting fuel, just not starting. I would like some help from someone, anyone. I would be very grateful if some one could help me out on it...

We have put all New Relays in her, And Fuses also, And i do have a Service Manual for the truck also. Well i have a Chilton full-size trucks 97-00 and i have a Haynes Repair Manual Dodge pick-ups 1994-2001 as well..And we pulled the Front off of the motor and the 2 marks on the timing gears are lined up and the Distributor rotor bug is pointing at the mark on the cap as well as the Distributor Pick up... And it is firing and getting gas as well... If anyone can HELP I WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL
Thanks.
Ray Henderson/ Hendogg

Last edited by Hendogg; 06-19-2009 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Because a lot of words were spelled wrong..
Old 06-18-2009, 03:55 AM
Synister1
Amateur

Did you check the relay box. Ignition (green on mine) fuses?

If it's not hitting at all you might be upwards of 180deg off.

Last edited by Synister1; 06-18-2009 at 03:57 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:12 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

First of all not to bust on you but where in gods name did you go to school???? Do you have a service manual for the truck? It sounds to me like you have the "timing" way off like stated above. Since someone else replaced the timing chain assembly you will need to start there and remove the cover and verify that the timing chain assembly is installed correctly and that you are at top dead center on number 1 cylinder. Once you have it at top dead center on cylinder 1, you need to pull the distributor cap and verify that the rotor is pointing right at the number 1 pin on the distributor cap. Once all of the above have been verified then we can begin to work out any other issues you have that are preventing your starting issue. My guess it will start right up if you correct the above mentioned issue.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:40 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

This is going to look like I'm being a dick, but theres no way around that.

Translation from OP:
Well, here I go. I bought a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Extended Cab Sport edition, 4x4, with the auto tranny and the 5.9L V8 gas motor. It was not running at the time, and they said it needed a new distributor. It was not firing. The previous owner had taken it to an auto technician and they had said it was a timing chain. He put a new one on, and it still didn’t fire. He then told her it needed a new distributor, but she did not have any more money to put into the truck, so I bought it from her cheap. I installed a new crank position sensor and now its firing, but it won’t start. I pulled the engine apart and it looks like it should run just fine. I’ve checked everything I can think of. When it was pulled apart, we pulled the distributor out and reinstalled it based on how the manuals told us to, and now it won’t hit at all. I don’t know what to do, we’ve checked the timing, and its fine. The distributor is installed fine. It won’t do anything but crank. We checked compression on the cylinders and its between 140 and 150 psi on each one. Its firing and getting fuel, just not starting. I would like some help from someone, anyone. I would be very grateful.
I had to do that for my own sanity.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:52 AM
helms
All Star

you need three things: air, fuel and spark. find out which one you arent getting. triple check the order of the plug wires on the distributer cap, check the condition of the coil. you will definitly need a service manual for this if you plan on keeping your hair while diagnosing.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:52 AM
helms
All Star

I like the translation Jason, lol, it accually helped me understand.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Hendogg

Well i went to school at Byars Okla then at Stratford till 11th Grade And was a Special ed And have like a 3 grade reading level. And i am sorry about the spelling. And all that we drive is dodge. There is like 4 dodge darts in the yard and 3 Durangos and 3 Dakotas and 3 rams and 1 1977 dodge 1 ton 4 door short bed 4x4 with 15 in of lift and a 413 wedge with a 1150 cfm Holly and 40x15.00x 16.5.. But that is besides the Point.. I do have a service manual.. And been working on Dodge for about 20 yrs and this truck has me Stumped and i nor my dad can figure it out.. Thats why i ask for some help..

Old 06-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Hendogg

I have check t the relay's and put all new ones in it.. And it is getting air, fuel and spark but know run.. Have the front of the motor pulled off and it is at TDC and pulled the cap and it is pointing at the number 1 mark in the cap.. and we trade re wiring it for a 180 out and it steel wont hit.. Just crank and crank.. We run the firing order like proble 7 or 8 times.. And don't know what to do to it.. We have built over 200 motors But old stile. Not all of this EFI.. It is a little new to use.. And i like Dodge all the way.. If it ant Mopar it ant in the yard..

Old 06-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Hendogg

And i get hell from all of my friends for driven Mopar and not driven Chevy or Ford.. Or the Other types of car's and trucks that ant made in the USA.. I hope that i would not get this from other Mopar Gut but I guss that I was wrong..

Old 06-18-2009, 04:06 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Stop whining.

We weren't giving you grief over the fact you drive a Mopar, just your grammar and punctuation. Your situation in school was unfortunate, however, there are tools you can get to help for typed text.

Firefox (internet browser) and Microsoft Word both have spell checking tools, and Microsoft Word has a grammar checking tool. If you don't have the money for Microsoft Office (which includes Word), there is a free alternative called Open Office. Firefox is free, and faster/more secure than Internet Exploder.

We're not asking for perfection here, no where near that. All we're asking is that we can understand you enough to know exactly what you're asking us.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help On my 1998 Dodge 1500 4x4 5.9 Gas Wont start..