2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installing Front Shocks, Do I need to remove shock tower?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 06:44 PM
peterfromme
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Front Shocks, Do I need to remove shock tower?

First, I did search through this forum on replacing shocks...and now I'm confused. It seems some people are suggesting that to replace the front shock I will need to remove the shock tower.

But, other people are suggesting that this is not necessary, and all I will need to do is grip the front of the top shock bolt to unbolt the shock.

Lastly, some websites that sell shocks also sell shock towers for pretty cheap, should I have got those too?

Please advise...

Old 06-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Linustratus
Professional
Thumbs up shock tower

Yeah, take it off(with it off, thats how the old and new ones come out and go in), but unbolt the old shock first, then take the bushing and washer off, and it should push up. It can be a pain in the ***, but the nuts have tabs welded on them to make it easier to replace on the lower end of it. dont get the shock tower mounts, waste of money. you can just clean up the old ones and paint em if youd like!

Old 06-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You do have to remove the tower to get the shock out, but loosen the shock top nut beforehand. There should be a flat on the end of the shock shaft. You can put an adjustable wrench on it to stop the shock body from spinning while you loosen the top nut.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:33 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must have removed them. Since they are saying that you have to. I kind of think I did but not 100% sure and thinking back I'm not sure how you would get the shock out without it. It's easy to remove.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:35 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I must have removed them. Since they are saying that you have to. I kind of think I did but not 100% sure and thinking back I'm not sure how you would get the shock out without it. It's easy to remove.
I agree, just did mine a month or two ago, and I took mine out. Only 3 bolts a side, and I don't think you could get the shocks out without removing them.

Quick Reply: Installing Front Shocks, Do I need to remove shock tower?