General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

how to program a new keyless remote entry fob?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 04:08 PM
cal_gecko
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to program a new keyless remote entry fob?

I bought my 02 ram a couple days ago and I didn't get a remote for the keyless entry... I see them on ebay for sale for less than 20 bux .. but if I don't have another one, how do I program the new one to the truck?

Old 03-27-2005, 06:09 PM
casper
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how to program a new keyless remote entry fob?

I have been told that you can program yourself, but every one I know that bought one had to bring it to the dealer to be done.

Old 03-28-2005, 10:58 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: how to program a new keyless remote entry fob?

hope this clears it up.....

STANDARD PROCEDURE - RKE TRANSMITTER PROGRAMING
New Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitters can be programed using the DRB IIIĀ® scan tool and the proper Diagnostic Procedures manual. The DRB IIIĀ® scan tool can provide confirmation that the PCI data bus is functional, and that all of the electronic modules are sending and receiving the proper messages on the PCI data bus.

The following procedure can be used as long as one programmed transmitter is available:

NOTE: When entering program mode using that programmed fob, ALL currently programmed fobs will be erased and they will have to be reprogrammed for the vehicle. If program mode is entered and no action is performed, the previously programmed fobs will continue to function.

Enter the vehicle and close all doors.
Fasten the seat belt (this will cancel the seat belt chime). Turn the ignition to the RUN position.
Press and hold the UNLOCK button on a programmed transmitter for 4 to 10 seconds. Within the 4 to 10 seconds with the UNLOCK button still depressed, press the PANIC button for one second. When a single chime is heard, release both buttons.The chime indicates the system is in program mode.
Press and release both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously on a fob to be programmed. A single chime will be heard, this indicates the fob has been recognized.
Press and release any button on the same fob. A single chime will be heard, this indicates the fob has been programmed.
Repeat steps 4 and 5 for up to a total of 4 fobs.
Turn the ignition OFF.
Turn the ignition ON or wait 60 seconds.
The vehicle will remain in program mode for up to 60 seconds from when the original chime (step 3) was heard. After 60 seconds, all programmed transmitters will function normally.

Quick Reply: how to program a new keyless remote entry fob?