3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

problems with Motive 456s and Auburn LSD

Old 07-08-2009, 10:02 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Exclamation problems with Motive 456s and Auburn LSD

Did you guys have any issues getting the 456s and an Auburn LSD to fit. My guy from the Dodge dealership who is my installer is saying the pinion or spline is hitting the center diff.

Someone please help if they know.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's part of the carrier that needs to be ground down for the Auburn to fit properly. Other than that, the only problems I've head with Auburns are botched installs.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:05 PM
ramhunter9
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im with pyro on this my guy had no problems

Old 07-09-2009, 08:31 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It does not matter whose gears you use. You will need to modify your cross pin to use a 4.56 or higher gear in your vehicle. This applies for open differential, Auburn and Eaton differentials. The pin will need to be cut at an angle opposite the bolt hole. Because every manufacturer is different, no measurement is provided with your gears. It is for this reason you need to choose an installer who has a decent amount of experience installing gears IN A DODGE CORPORATE (AAM) 9.25" DIFFERENTIAL.

It kinda sounds to me like you need to find A DIFFERENT INSTALLER. If he doesn't know that, ain't no way he's gonna set those gears correctly, IMO...

Old 07-09-2009, 10:03 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
It does not matter whose gears you use. You will need to modify your cross pin to use a 4.56 or higher gear in your vehicle. This applies for open differential, Auburn and Eaton differentials. The pin will need to be cut at an angle opposite the bolt hole. Because every manufacturer is different, no measurement is provided with your gears. It is for this reason you need to choose an installer who has a decent amount of experience installing gears IN A DODGE CORPORATE (AAM) 9.25" DIFFERENTIAL.

It kinda sounds to me like you need to find A DIFFERENT INSTALLER. If he doesn't know that, ain't no way he's gonna set those gears correctly, IMO...
I agree with everything being said here. I actually called Motive this morning and they directed me HERE and said pretty much everything you said as well.

As for the installer, I agree and that has me slightly worried as well. But he is THE 'rear' guy for the Dodge dealership here so I thought he would be the best to do it. He worked on my rear the frist time (at the dealership) when I had them pull my LSD retaining clips and flush the unit. Im hoping and crossing my fingers.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:25 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Good luck!!!

Old 07-09-2009, 11:14 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

He may be "the guy" for diffs, but I doubt he has installed anything aftermarket in a 9.25". Seems like he has a repetition for doing stock gears and stock carriers only. Most dealers won't even install aftermarket parts because they just don't wanna warranty their work on stuff they didn't get from their parts counter.
Now, if he has done several stock one's before then he knows how to properly set everything up. I think once he get's the case ground down and the pin and everything rotates without bind. i think he'll be in his home town again on the install as far as pre-load and backlash goes.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:08 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Dog, I agree and I wasnt worried at first until he hit this snag and told me about. And here is how I see it, there are lots of guys here who have 456s and aftermarket LSDs so they also have went through these issues although they just dont know it because they didnt do the swap and setup themselves and THIER installer didnt bother to mention it because they had no issues getting around it and getting the job done. For this guy to stop the install and tell me about it does make me worried about his competence but Im too far in to back out now and agree that I think he just hit a snag and once past it cane set everything up the way it is supposed to be done.........I hope.

I already had a talk with him earlier today and told him if he has any doubt to let me know now and he said he could do it........

Old 07-09-2009, 03:07 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^why i gotta be the last guy to get a descent carrier? I'm not talking 'bout the mail man...lol

Maybe if i didn't smoke so damn much i would have the cash to fork up. Boy, that grass gets expensive. Right weed?...lmao j/k

Old 07-09-2009, 06:21 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I can neither confirm nor deny any suck implications and/or accusations. Sry, youre on your on that one....... ;-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: problems with Motive 456s and Auburn LSD