3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CB Antenna install on toolbox

Old 07-09-2009, 08:35 AM
bullisland
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB Antenna install on toolbox

OK so I went to the local CB shop and picked up my firestik's, coax, and mounts...gonna mount to either side of my toolbox 3' black firestik's with only one running the cb and maybe hookin the other up to marine vhf down the road.

my question is...our truck beds are grounded to the chassis, correct? Has anyone dealt with grounding their toolbox to their bed? my thoughts are just the simple 12gauge wire from box to bed in a couple places.

any insight or lessons learned from previous installs is appreciated! Thanks fellas.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:57 AM
bullisland

also, read acouple posts from awhile back about running your coax...any more description and tips on that would be great...crawled under there yesterday afternoon briefly but didnt really see any points of entrance that I might be able to use...

Thanks again fellas

Old 07-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

Running co-phased Firestiks that are mounted to a steel toolbox should work pretty well. If the toolbox is isolated from the truck bed by rubber, then running a ground wire should help establish a good ground plane.

As for the marine VHF, it's a violation of Federal law to transmit on a marine VHF frequency unless you are on a vessel in the water (unless you have a FCC license). I guess it's okay to mount one in your truck if you just want to listen.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:04 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I know my toolbox is mounted the the top side of the bed with screws. When I had my air compressor back there in the back and grounded it to the toolbox I never had any issues.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:21 PM
bullisland

mine's not screwed in or anything, so I'm going to run some 12 gauge wire for a good ground.

i'll post pictures up once I get them installed and tuned. haven't seen any pictures up yet, but plenty talkin about it

Old 07-09-2009, 03:26 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are talking about running a ground wire from your truck to your toolbox, I would go bigger than a measley 12awg. You can buy a short length of Battery cable with ends already on them at the local parts store for like $6 Those are generally 4awg and will supply the entire toolbox with a strong ground otherwise, the signal may be weakend by the 12awg and any length of distance between that mounting point and your firesticks or whatever they are called...lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CB Antenna install on toolbox