2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

Brake grinding, pulsating

Old 09-23-2008, 10:34 AM
JenB987
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake grinding, pulsating

My 08 Avenger FWD has been having brake and rotor problems. At around 10,000 miles, the rotors started going---really bad steering wheel shake and brake pulsation. My husband and I thought it was strange to have bad rotors so soon so he pulled them and took them to NAPA to have them checked. (No point in spending a day at the garage if that wasn't the problem). NAPA looked at them, said they barely needed cut. The problem continued and I took it to a Dodge dealer. They said it was definately the rotors and replaced them under warranty. The problem went away for maybe 4 days. I started noticing the grind and pulsating when I was braking from around 30-35 mph. It eventually got worse and more aggressive, but didn't happen everytime I hit the brakes. It even felt like whatever the grind was, stuck on even when I released the brakes and accelerated.

I've had it in the shop 3 times so far, and no one has been able to pinpoint it, or they haven't been able to "recreate" the problem. Of course.

Any ideas?

Old 09-23-2008, 12:02 PM
claydawg
Rookie

Have you taken someone from the dealership for a ride? If it always happens when you drive it, then maybe they should ride along with you so they can see/hear and hopefully understand what's happening first-hand.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Ghostrider R/T

I had the same problem, the caliper is made up of 2 halves and is held together with 2 slide shafts, one of these were sticking and that turned out to be the problem. Have it checked anyways.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:26 PM
andyg
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has this issue been resolved? If not...

I'm not familiar with these cars but it could have to do with the ABS pump/ controller system. If something is faulty, it could cause the pump to run and brake unevenly and the pedal to pulsate. Also sometimes the pump sounds like a grinding noise.

Just my thoughts

Old 06-22-2009, 02:06 PM
keon718nyc
Default 2008 Dodge Avenger R/T Front Brake Issues

I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger R/T . I wanted to post my problems with this car since i had it now 2 years 22,000 miles. The brakes are having major problems in the front... The rotors were cut by the dealer at 12,000 miles for shaking and loud vibration/grind. My pads were checked and ok'd, The rotors were worped and need to be cut, they covered it luckly with a arguement. about 16-17,000 miles i got the shake back and loud noise again, went to the dealer and they said i need pads and rotors cut, They wanted $300+ to do this and they even billed me $99 to look at the brakes, i was pissed after being there for brake light sensor on, and also tire pressure light on, also other recalls. The problem is now i had another shop to replace the pads and cut the rotors for way less, problem is after 2 weeks they started to make clicking noise and weird clanks at slow stops. I brought it back and he put different pads and cut rotors again, didnt help becouse the noise came back. I couldnt deal with it anymore and today brought it to the dealer. The dealer said i need front and back rotors and pads. The price is $1250! I also had a airbag light on which is covered under warranty. I cant believe after having the pads replace and rotors cut they said i need all the brake rotors and pads. The back brakes they said were fine a few weeks ago, all of a sudden they need to be replaced? lol Sounds like a good salesman trying to make commision of me. Well i said do the front for $625 and thats it, also i got some funny rubberband click in the steering wheel turning or accelerate which is annoying and its there being checked at the dealer as we speak. I am sooo mad as this is a lease and all ive had was problems and spending money for things! The only reason i brought it back to the dealer is to get the brake warranty for one yearif they do it so i can take it back to them 10 more times. Its $625 for the front brakes but 1 more year my lease is up and im giving the car in. This is my 3rd lease through chrysler. Ive had jeeps and problems with brakes and engines as well and took a chance at a dodge. I love my avenger but im fed up with the problems.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:14 AM
JenB987

My brake issue hasn't been resolved. It's actually only gotten worse. Since I've had the brake pads replaced and the rotors replaced twice, it's been happening a lot more than it was before. My total repair costs were $650, but they said that the brakes and the rotors that were put on are now all lifetime warrantied. I'm not going to hold my breath with that. The dealership that has been working on the car is now closed, so I'm going to argue with a whole new set of mechanics.

keon, your problem sounds exactly like mine. While it's unfortunate, I'm kind of glad someone else is having the same issue because now I know I'm not crazy.

I'm not going to say I love my car, because I don't. It's hard to enjoy driving a vehicle that you are unsure how the brakes are going to react. As soon as I knock a couple grand more off my pay off, I'm getting rid of it. I'm sick of dealing with it.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:38 AM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by JenB987
My brake issue hasn't been resolved. It's actually only gotten worse. Since I've had the brake pads replaced and the rotors replaced twice, it's been happening a lot more than it was before. My total repair costs were $650, but they said that the brakes and the rotors that were put on are now all lifetime warrantied. I'm not going to hold my breath with that. The dealership that has been working on the car is now closed, so I'm going to argue with a whole new set of mechanics.

keon, your problem sounds exactly like mine. While it's unfortunate, I'm kind of glad someone else is having the same issue because now I know I'm not crazy.

I'm not going to say I love my car, because I don't. It's hard to enjoy driving a vehicle that you are unsure how the brakes are going to react. As soon as I knock a couple grand more off my pay off, I'm getting rid of it. I'm sick of dealing with it.
for that money you could get the good pads and good rotors on all 4 wheels but then you need someone to put them on.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:26 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My niece just bout a new 09 (actually built in 10/08, been on the lot awhile, only had 17 miles on it) and in town, the brakes are fine, at highway speeds, they pulsate as well. Sometimes it acts like the front and you can feel it in the steering wheels and other times it acts like the rear and can feel it in the pedal and seat. They are taking it back Monday to be looked at. Sounds like a common problem. The darn thing only has 300 miles on it now.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:55 AM
sunnythapa
Unhappy Brake grinding

I have a 2008 dodge avenger r/t.
I've always owned it.
Around 30K miles my brakes needed replacement but a week before i went in to replace them the front right calipers locked (I was told) and it started to grind, just like the first post described. I got it fixed at a dealer, as well as replaced all my brakes for the 30K service, and it wasn't grinding. But there was still a shake when braking right away. Now I am coming up on my 50K service and the same side is grinding like it did before the 30 K service. If doesn't stop grinding and it looks like by the time my appointment comes, I will have to replace my calipers again along with whatever else needs replaced at 50K.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake grinding, pulsating