2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cargo light will not turn off

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:38 PM
MDPuckett84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cargo light will not turn off

Having a strange problem with my ram, the cargo light will not turn off. The dimmer switch is in the position that turns on/off the dome lights when the doors are open. Even with the switch all the way down it will not turn off the light. Has anyone had this problem before? I really need to get it turned off before i go to bed...

Old 07-13-2009, 09:44 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are in a rush and want to fix it tomorrow, disconnect the battery.

You may try replacing the headlamp switch. Its been known to fail on occasion, although I have never heard of it failing in that way before. About $40-ish from a junkyard, otherwise you can order brand new ones online for a little more.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:08 PM
MDPuckett84

Thanks, that's what I've done for now. If anyone else has ideas I'm all ears. This thing has just started falling apart the last few months

Old 07-15-2009, 08:45 AM
MDPuckett84

Still trying to figure this out, could someone with a normally working truck tell me if anything else turns on the cargo light? ie, does it come on when you put it in the reverse, or when the doors are open? I've never really paid attention to it.

Strange thing if the switch was broken, shouldn't the dome light be staying on too?

Old 07-15-2009, 11:04 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MDPuckett84
Strange thing if the switch was broken, shouldn't the dome light be staying on too?
not necessarily. the dome light and cargo light and 3rd brake light are all separate circuits. dome light comes on from multiple sources, cargo from only one that i know of - and that's the switch. take the switch out and investigate how it works. see if it opens/closes the circuit of if its melted in a closed position.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:45 PM
dblj16380
Veteran

I know that sometimes the seal in the 3rd brake light/ cargo light housing goes bad and allows water to get in. I don't know if that could have caused the circuitry to short out a bit up there. Might want to check that out.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:21 AM
Jeff Quinones

Originally Posted by MDPuckett84
Having a strange problem with my ram, the cargo light will not turn off. The dimmer switch is in the position that turns on/off the dome lights when the doors are open. Even with the switch all the way down it will not turn off the light. Has anyone had this problem before? I really need to get it turned off before i go to bed...
Add a resistor, simple fix. the current is bad or some ****, i put leds and they stay on with switch off. so for now i just took them out until i get that piece

Quick Reply: Cargo light will not turn off