3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Pan Removal question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:05 PM
oldbluetruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Removal question

My oil pan has almost rusted through on the entire lower section and needs to be replaced. My dealer wants almost $600 to do this. I will be doing it myself due to cost.

Question, is it necessary to raise the engine to do this? Engine is the 4.7 Magnum. I checked it out and it looks like it will just about slide right out after removing the trans support at the rear of the pan. Truck is a 2002 quad cab 4x4 Ram.

Thanks. Carl

Old 07-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Kbreezy

Carl-

Straight from the Mopar Service Manual

OIL PAN
REMOVAL
(1) Disconnect the negative battery cable.
(2) Install engine support fixture special tool #
Do not raise engine at this time.

(3) Loosen both left and right side engine mount
through bolts. Do not remove bolts.
(4)
(5) Remove the structural dust cover, if equipped.
(6) Drain engine oil.
(7) Remove the front crossmember(Refer to 13 -
FRAME & BUMPERS/FRAME/FRONT CROSSMEMBER
- REMOVAL).
CAUTION: Only raise the engine enough to provide
clearance for oil pan removal. Check for proper
clearance at fan shroud to fan and cowl to intake
manifold.
(8) Raise engine using special tool # 8534 to provide
clearance to remove oil pan.
NOTE: Do not pry on oil pan or oil pan gasket. Gasket
is integral to engine windage tray and does not
come out with oil pan.
(9) Remove the oil pan mounting bolts and oil pan.
(10) Unbolt oil pump pickup tube and remove
tube.
(11) Inspect the integral windage tray and gasket
and replace as needed.

Now this does not address guys with 4WD. Considering the promixity of the oil pan to the front diff, it would be easy to assume that needs to be lower/removed to drop the pan.

Good Luck!

Old 07-16-2009, 06:04 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow, who would think something full of oil would rust!!
it's hardly ever an easy job so make sure you have plenty of time to complete the work.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Snaximus

Carl, Please keep us posted as to what you decided to do. I have been under my 02, and noticed the same thing. I wonder how long I have before it goes.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:00 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

My stratus oil pan was almost rusted through. i was surprised to see that myself. My fathers Diff cover rusted through on his Ferd. it was only a 2002, but he does lots of snowmobiling and the roads are just smothered with rocksalt. They use so much here, it's like driving on the beach all the time in the winter! the roads are just stained white until about April or so.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:25 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Rotting from the outside in. I hate it when they salt the roads around here!! Just make a mess, I'd rather drive on the snow!!!

Old 07-18-2009, 12:33 AM
mmstar23
Champion

well having pulled my oil pan before i personally thought it wasnt too difficult. the directions posted above are way non-essential. theres a cross member thats in the way of dropping the oil pan, you must remove that, i believe its 4 bolts. once you do that remove all the bolts around the oil pan. once you pull that down thats it. theres 2 maybe 3 bolts holding the gasket in along with the pickup tube. remove those and replace the gasket and your rusted pan. bolt back together and your done. ill get under my truck tomorrow to be sure, but PM me if any questions...i think there was 1 or 2 bolts on the pan that were a PITA to get to, but ill look to remember. oh and you have to remove that dust cover on the tranny as stated in the directions above...almost forgot that...i believe that was the 2 bolts that were hard to get to...remove the dust cover and your good.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Snaximus

I know this is an old thread but, just in case you came to this thread wondering....

The guy that did my oil pan in my 2002 4.7 ram 1500 (last week), said that although he prepared to, raising the engine was not absolutely necessary. AND at 57,000 it would have started to weep through real soon.

Snax

Old 11-17-2013, 10:08 PM
joulian

I am wondering if there is enough clearance to rebuild lower end bearings, if i take off pan does anyone think this is possible? My gauge kept showing low pressure this week. I replaced the sending unit today. I am hoping that was the issue. With 400,000 on it I don't think it has long either way. So i am thinking ahead on this one.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:08 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You certainly would spend a lot of time on your back. The 4.7l mains are part of a cast section, there are no single bearing caps so they can't be changed one at a time. I think you'd have to take the front of the engine off, remove the timing, and remove that portion of the "block". I'm not sure how the transmission would play into things but it would be the only thing left holding the crankshaft into position.
Steve

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Removal question