Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

My fuel gauge is not working after replacing the fuel pump

Old 07-28-2009, 05:39 AM
caravan89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My fuel gauge is not working after replacing the fuel pump

Hello Forum:

With the help of a friend, I replaced the fuel pump on my 1989 Doge Caravan 2.5L non turbo minivan. The day after replacing the fuel pump, I noticed that my fuel gauge was not working. It shows the needle on the gauge to the bottom of being empty. The fuel gauge was working fine before I replaced the fule pump. After replacing the fuel pump, I noticed that some fuel was dripping down from the top of the fuel tank. Then it stopped. I believe that this was due to some loose screws at the filling pipe. I am thinking that the dripping gasoline may had made contact with the electrical part of the sending unit. Also, I suspect that the friend who helped me may have installed the return tubing on the wring side He installed a tube on preasure release valve. On my service manual for the minivan I don't see any tube attached to the preassure relieve valve. I noticed that when I lifted the minivan from the back after replacing the fuel pump that is when the fuel gauge stopped working. I will appreciate any feedback. Master T if you are still around, please give some suggestions. Your feedback in the past have been very helpfull. Thanks

Last edited by caravan89; 07-28-2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:29 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Did you line the fuel pump the same way you removed it? I would say that the float isn't allowing to float up and down. Remove the pump assy and reck, also ck the wire connection too.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:39 PM
caravan89
Default Fuel sending unit is not working after replacing the fuel pump

Hello Master T,

This particular minivan 1989 Doge Caravan 2.5L Vin:K have a separate sending unit from the fuel pump. They are both in the tank. The fuel pump have to pipe of different size. One pipe is connected to a tube that sends the fuel to the system. The other is for returning the unuse fuel back to the fuel tank. The fuel gauge sending unit have only one pipe sticking out. I don't remember if there is a tube that goes to that pipe on the sending unit. I don't think that my friend put any tube back on that pipe. I told him to check everything on the tank before removing any parts. I was working on the other side of the fuel tank. Does the separate sending unit have a tubing attached to that pipe. Thanks

Old 07-30-2009, 10:29 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The float may have hole in it, the floats were made of bass back in the old days. Take it out and shake it.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:08 PM
caravan89
Default My fuel gauge is not working after replacing the fuel pump

Thanks Master T,

I going to check the fuel gauge sending unit float to see if there is any fuel inside the float. If there is any fuel I will replace the float. I will like to know if there is any hose that goes attached to the fuel gauge sending unit drainage tube. I added an attachment to this thread so that I can illustrate the fuel gauge sending unit drainage tube part. Please check towards the botton of the page so that you can see the attachment. You may need to enlarge the picture so that you can see it better. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails My fuel gauge is not working after replacing the fuel pump-fuel-gauge-sending-unit.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My fuel gauge is not working after replacing the fuel pump