2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lift & Factory Rake Question

Old 07-29-2009, 12:09 PM
ripto
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lift & Factory Rake Question

What is the purpose of the factory rake on these trucks? I know it probably helps a bit with a load in the back so that it is not sagging, but how about for aerodynamic purposes? Does it play a role in that?

The reason I ask is because when looking at lifts there are (as we know) a lot of choices and some are for example 2" front leveling kits and 2" susp lift kits. The latter will keep the factory rake while the former eliminates it.

By installing a leveling kit, will that hurt the truck's aerodynamics and therefore hurt fuel mileage?

Also, will installing a 2" susp lift kit hurt fuel mileage compared to my stock setup? If so, how much would you say?

Old 07-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Trey318
Captain

The 2nd gen Dodge Ram is supposed to be a very aerodynamic design. As for how much the lift will affect it, I'm not sure. I'm on the opposite side of the altitude range now . I'm sure the rake keeps the front end lower to the ground which does this that and the other.... It probably won't kill your MPGs but most lifts usually negatively affect them slightly.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:27 PM
helms
All Star

i dont think that you would be driving fast enough to feel the lack of aerodynamics with a lift installed.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:34 PM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you are going to change by leveling the front is the caster angle. This will have an impact on the handling. Caster on a solid front axle is not adjustable without a cutting torch.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:36 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

All I will say is not true! Camber is what is not adjustable, unless you buy adjustable ball joints.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:34 PM
ripto
Captain

I'm curious if a 2" front leveling kit will realistically do anything. I can't really see it looking that different. I think I would prefer to go with a 2" or 3" susp lift (which will end up keeping the factory rake).

Old 07-29-2009, 02:43 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A leveling kit is just for the front, to do exactly what it's called. A lift kit will raise it and level it. I'm sure you can call around to various manufactures and have the lift kit changed to meet your requirements. And btw, a 2 inch leveling kit will do a lot as to how your truck will look. It is 2 inches you know.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:44 PM
ripto
Captain

Well the tough country lift kit I was looking at does not level it, it simply raises the front and rear the same amount. I'm just wondering if the leveling kit will give it a better look, or I guess in a way if its worth the money as to how it changes the stance.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:35 PM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zman17
All I will say is not true! Camber is what is not adjustable, unless you buy adjustable ball joints.
WTF? not true? Please entertain me and tell me how you are going to adjust caster on a solid front axle? Please show me the adjusting sleeve or bolt that allows you to adjust caster. It is one thing to say that you are ignorant and don't know about what you are talking about which I would give you the benefit of the doubt, but you should really keep you mouth shut on something that you obviously know nothing.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:57 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Try this site.
proryde.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lift & Factory Rake Question