2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water Pump Leak?

Old 08-01-2009, 04:39 AM
terranova
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Leak?

Today I was driving home and stopped at the gas station to grab a drink. Went inside and came back and the engine temp was at the half way mark and its never been that high. So I just drove it home since it was only a few hundred feet and it went back down to normal operating temps. But after coming inside then going back out I noticed a pool of liquid on the cement. I was thinking it was just condensation drip since I've been using my A/C all day in this 112 degree weather. But I felt it and smelled it and was definitely coolant. I looked around the radiator, nothing. Looked at the coolant over flow for leaks, nothing. Then noticed a little dribble at the water pump. It looks corroded and oxidized and it was moist with coolant. I'm praying to god it's just a seal and won't be to expensive to fix. I'll get a picture if anyone needs one. Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:41 AM
Jpnorris87
Professional

Water pump is about $75 and aint really that bad. I had a slow leak after I pulled my truck outta storage. Thought it was the water pump, turned out being the timing cover gasket. Took me about 6hrs to do total, but I was hungover as hell. Best way to find out is to either pull the fan and bracket assy off and see what is leaking or, put a pressure tester on your radiator. NOTE: If it is the water pump leaking out of the front seal, it might not leak at all while the engine is turned off.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:34 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

refill radiator and overflow tank and monitor it for a couple of days. if it stays full of coolant it should not overheat any. look for a green drip at the bottom of the water pump every time you shut it off and a slow and steady loss of fluid.

what will sometimes happen is that it won't lead during operation, but will leak heavily after the engine is shut off, when the heat and pressure builds up. once cool, it might stop dripping.

depending on mileage, money, time etc, you might replace water pump only, or take the opportunity to strip the motor and also fix the plenum and replace timing chain and seals and any other oil leaks you might have.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:54 PM
terranova
Professional

Ok so I think I'm going to replace the water pump with this one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GMB-120-3041P/ and I also want to get the hughes plenum plate. Couple questions though, what all do I need o get to complete these projects? I'm getting the fuel pump, hughes plate, 180 t-stat, mostly what seals do I need to replace and while I have the truck torn apart what else is something that I could go ahead and replace?

Old 08-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Do the dizzy cap & wires wile you're back there. Much easier this way. You probably want to do the oil pressure sending unit since it's right next to the dizzy.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:18 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

long list of parts to consider at the end of this thread.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ater-pump.html

absolutely positively replace the small water pump bypass hose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water Pump Leak?