1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Squeaky ball joint

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Squeaky ball joint

I have been super busy lately, sorry I haven't been around as much. I haven't made much more progress as I have been travelling a lot lately. I finally found my squeak in my truck, it is my lower ball joint on the drivers side. It has no play but squeaks super loud all the time. Any ideas of how I might be able to fix this without replacing the joint? The joint has no grease fitting. I was thinking about drilling a hole in it and putting a fitting in myself.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Most likely if it is squeaking it is dead. Your best option is to replace it. Sorry to say. You can try to put grease into the boot and try moving the ball joint around to get the grease around the joint.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:13 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I will probably just change it. Not the end of the world, I did the ball joints on the passenger side before so I should be able to get this one done relatively quickly.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:29 PM
saltbranch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was me, I'd replace it. Reason I say this is that I had 1 go out my daily driver about a year ago. I had just got our property and was idling around checking out the scenery. Then all the sudden my passenger side front hits the ground, digs in like an anchor. It was the lower ball joint on my 96 Taco that gave way. Just 20 minutes earlier I was cruising down the highway @ 70 plus mph. I was lucky it failed when it did, no warning, no squeaks...notta. I replaced all 4 on my truck and would suggest the same to you. Ball joints are not the place to cut costs, typically if 1 is failing the others are not far behind.
JMHO

Quick Reply: Squeaky ball joint