2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Replacing electirc window regulator

Old 08-07-2009, 12:27 PM
dakotadano
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing electirc window regulator

I haven't replaced a regulator in a very long time, can anyone tell me how hard it is to replace an electric one in an 01 Dakota quad-cab? Motor is working fine, or seems to be, sounds fine & is moving cable, which is hanging loose. Thinking I could get it without one & use current motor, unless someone knows of a reason I shouldn't.
Any tricks I should know in replacing it?
Thanks!

Old 08-07-2009, 07:51 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Dodge doesn't sell the regulator separately from the motor. Motor and regulator are sold as one assembly, but they can be separated and have only the regulator or motor replaced. A junk yard may sell the regulator by itself but then you are just buying a used regulator with who knows how many miles on it and who knows when that one will break too. Regulator failure is not an uncommon thing in Dodges.

It isn't hard to replace either. Remove the door panel and moisture barrier and you should be able to unclip or unbolt the bottom of the window from its channel in the top of the regulator assembly. I think it bolts in on Dakota's. Slide the window up all the way and duct tape it in place. Then you just have to remove the nuts that hold the regulator to the door, I think there are 6 for the regulator and 3 for the motor. Then pull the old broken assembly out the large access hole in the door cavity. Insert the new assembly in the door cavity thru the same access hole. It is a squeeze but it will go in OK. Once it's in the door, open it up and set the mounting screws into their respective locations on the door surface. Once it's in place then you can tighten the nuts back down. Slide the window back down into its channel on top of the assembly and bolt it back in place. Temporarily re-connect the switches and test the window then reinstall the moisture barrier and door panel.

It's not hard, should take less than an hour to do. Personally I would say just get the new part from the dealer. Probably costs from about $85.00 to $120.00. If they want more than $120, find another dealer.

Jimmy

Old 08-07-2009, 07:51 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Dodge doesn't sell the regulator separately from the motor. Motor and regulator are sold as one assembly, but they can be separated and have only the regulator or motor replaced. A junk yard may sell the regulator by itself but then you are just buying a used regulator with who knows how many miles on it and who knows when that one will break too. Regulator failure is not an uncommon thing in Dodges.

It isn't hard to replace either. Remove the door panel and moisture barrier and you should be able to unclip or unbolt the bottom of the window from its channel in the top of the regulator assembly. I think it bolts in on Dakota's. Slide the window up all the way and duct tape it in place. Then you just have to remove the nuts that hold the regulator to the door, I think there are 6 for the regulator and 3 for the motor. Then pull the old broken assembly out the large access hole in the door cavity. Insert the new assembly in the door cavity thru the same access hole. It is a squeeze but it will go in OK. Once it's in the door, open it up and set the mounting screws into their respective locations on the door surface. Once it's in place then you can tighten the nuts back down. Slide the window back down into its channel on top of the assembly and bolt it back in place. Temporarily re-connect the switches and test the window then reinstall the moisture barrier and door panel.

It's not hard, should take less than an hour to do. Personally I would say just get the new part from the dealer. Probably costs from about $85.00 to $120.00. If they want more than $120, find another dealer.

Jimmy

Old 08-08-2009, 10:14 AM
dakotadano
Thumbs up Thanks

Jimmy,

Thanks for your answer, that was really helpful. I've seen regulators online sold without the motor, but the price doesn't seem that much different so maybe we'll just get one with the motor, probably easier.
Even though its been years I do remember the problem was getting the regulator in & out of the door, but obviously it does fit, just need to be patient

thanks again, Dan

Old 08-08-2009, 01:58 PM
dakotadano

Checked with 2 dealers, they both want $280 for it! I do live in NJ & everything is expensive, but this is ridiculous. I looked on line & I can get a Dorman brand with a lifetime warranty for $70-80. Thanks again for your help

Old 08-09-2009, 03:48 PM
project99
Rookie
Default Me too

I have the same hanging cable issue as you. I found that the cable guide at the bottom of the regulator snapped off. Looks like half a wheel. I am trying to find someone who has a burned up regulator who may give me that part. You cant buy it separately, even at the dealer. I may try to machine one at work.
If you look at the bottom of the inside of your door you may find the part.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Deadeye1965

Originally Posted by dakotadano
Checked with 2 dealers, they both want $280 for it! I do live in NJ & everything is expensive, but this is ridiculous. I looked on line & I can get a Dorman brand with a lifetime warranty for $70-80. Thanks again for your help
Could you please provide a website where you got that from? Thanks!

Old 08-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Bunky
Rookie

I recently replaced my 97 dakota window regulator myself. It was pretty easy. Mine did not have a cable. It was a scissor lift type mechanism. The hardest part was getting the coil spring properly tensioned between the lift mechanism and the motor gear. No special tools except something to prop up the glass so it does not fall down.

As a help, I took pics of the door inside before I removed it so I could use for reference just in case.

I got a Dorman brand at Advance for over $100. The passenger door is making noise and I expect it to fail the same way (a roller in the track as the window lifts.)

Old 02-25-2010, 09:26 PM
u0462639
Default how did it go?

hey i was just wondering about how the repair went. I have came across the same problem and have ordered the same Dorman part... Did everything work ok?
thanks, jeff

Old 02-26-2010, 10:17 AM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Originally Posted by u0462639
hey i was just wondering about how the repair went. I have came across the same problem and have ordered the same Dorman part... Did everything work ok?
thanks, jeff
I am doing mine today, i'll tell you how it goes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing electirc window regulator