Dodge Daytona The G platform cars that are to this day, fun sporty machines that car modding enthusiasts love to get their hands on, the Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser.

1991 Speedometer issues

Old 08-09-2009, 02:45 PM
bosskland
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Speedometer issues

1991 Daytona 2.5L non turbo..

Speedometer and odometer are not working. Replaced a sensor on the tranny. Still not working. Thoughts?

Old 08-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Shibby927
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a gear in the odometer that is made of rubber. Commonly in Daytonas and Shadows of 91 and prior years the teeth on this gear become brittle with time and break away. I think there is a website odometergears.com or a similar name where you can buy these replacement gears. I am 100% sure this is the reason your odometer and trip gauge are not working as this is the issue with my 91 non-turbo. The speedometer thought that should still function irregardless. I would reccommend you pull your entire gauge cluster and re-solder all of the electrical connections. Another common problem with Daytonas and Lebarons is electrical issues. The original soldering connections get old and current doesn't flow through them as well as it should if at all and I have heard that sometimes reheating the soldering and letting it reset will sometimes fix electrical issues and its rather cheap and simple fix.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:04 AM
bosskland
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you,

well tapping it seems to get it working again. I'm going to guess it is the
soldering points we'll see how it goes here. I just bought it and dumped a bunch of money into it to get it ready for inspection again. It sat in a driveway since 11/08. Hopefully I'm getting it inspected on Tuesday or Wednesday and back on the road.

my dad and I (95% my dad lol) fixed:

rebuilt 1 Wheel well
rebuilt both rocker panels
battery replaced
fixed hole in floor
fixed dash switches working intermittently (at least so far haha)
replaced hatch struts
rebuilt part of the frame
changed speed sensor
replaced muffler and fixed some exhaust issues
changed front struts
changed oil
speedometer working (after delicate work... errr tapping on it haha)

I'm sure I missed something... and I'm sure I'll be looking for more answers before its all over

Old 08-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Shibby927
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try www.turbododge.com it is another forum like this one but more specific to older turbo dodge cars. Their forums are a whole lot more helpful than the Daytona forum on here where if you are lucky people post in it once every two weeks. I know somewhere on that site they have a diagram on how to wire a digital guage cluster in if you can manage to get your hands on one of those they are a lot more reliable than the analog clusters.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1991 Speedometer issues