3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Differential Issues - Looking for a Assembly Diagram

Old 08-27-2009, 09:31 PM
aii01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Issues - Looking for a Assembly Diagram

I have an 02 Ram 1500 with the 4.7L 4x4 and the 9.25 / 3.92 Limited Slip Differential. I have been having shuddering issues when accelerating from a stop. Additionally I found the broken clutch pack retaining clips in the bottom. I was luck though in that I cannot see any housing damage, and none of the pieces wedged in the gears or bearings. The shuddering I am assuming is from a worn clutch pack. To fully understand the implications of the missing retaining rings and repair options I was looking for an assembly diagram of the internal differential case where the clutch pack is located. Can anyone provide this or a photograph showing the diassembled clutch pack? Also what are the implications of running with out the clips. I have seen a lot of discussion on this and how Chrysler replaced them under warrantly but not any details on what can happen when you run without them. Additionally nothing on rebuilding the clutch pack. Is that not an option? I assume from all of this that my time is limited and I will be installing a TruTrac or Auburn unit soon. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-28-2009, 12:11 AM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't even bother with trying to fix the stock LSD, it's a worthless heap of trash. Get an Auburn or Tru-Trac, you will not be disappointed.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:28 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I agreed with replacing it but if you are truely wanting to repair and rebuild it due to money reasons (or lack thereof) then I attached the info below.

Last edited by weedahoe; 08-31-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:36 PM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aii01, if it is giving you issues, you are better off replacing it. I had an open diff and installed a Powertrax Lockrite in my driveway. They do offer units for the OEM LSD rear ends also. There is a long thread about broken C clips in the drivetrain section for 3Gen Rams on dodge talk...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Differential Issues - Looking for a Assembly Diagram