1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1991 dodge charging problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 09:18 PM
fade2blk500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 dodge charging problems

I have a 91 dakota, the battery went dead and i had to jump it off. i had the battery tested and it tested good so i figured it was the alternator not charging. My uncle works at NAPA and gets parts at a very good discount, so i had him order me an alternator. i replaced the alternator yet it's still not charging, i had it tested, tested good. so at this point im clueless, alternator and battery are both good. what else could it be??

thanks
Craig

Old 02-19-2005, 12:06 AM
injmopar
Veteran
Default RE: 1991 dodge charging problems

They might seem clean but did you run a brush through the cables.Could be a thin film of black death.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 93 dakota 5.2. The charge rate is controlled by the ecu mounted on the fenderwell. Have you used a volt meter and checked the charging voltage at the battery with it running? Should be around 14 volts. Also possible you melted a fusable link in the wire harness. Before you start replaceing parts, get the wiring diagrams from a hays manual and check for fuses. Also check the system fuses mounted on the drivers side fenderwell

Old 03-29-2005, 09:43 PM
fade2blk500

ORIGINAL: Gone Fishin

I have a 93 dakota 5.2. The charge rate is controlled by the ecu mounted on the fenderwell. Have you used a volt meter and checked the charging voltage at the battery with it running? Should be around 14 volts. Also possible you melted a fusable link in the wire harness. Before you start replaceing parts, get the wiring diagrams from a hays manual and check for fuses. Also check the system fuses mounted on the drivers side fenderwell
Update Found out a couple weeks ago that my brother was having problems getting it to crank and he let his buddy pull the battery cables. His buddy touched the positive with a wrench to the body [:@] my brother said smoke was rising from under the hood and that the wrench started glowing... BLAH So i went through the entire harness and checked every fusable link in the harness with a voltmeter. Everything checked okay. so now im beginning to think maybe the ecu is fried . What do you guys think? how can i tell if the ecu is fried. I just purchased it 3 months ago from autozone so i will see if i have some type or warranty

Thanks!!

Craig

Old 04-03-2005, 11:16 PM
injmopar
Veteran

Dodge ECUs are very reliable. I picked up a couple spares for those long road trips,but have never had to use one. I have seen several poeple kill them from just doing stupid things like sparking the booster cables. Those ones would not even restart.

Old 04-06-2005, 04:48 AM
fade2blk500

Well I visited the local junkyard today, they had a computer for 30 bucks. I bought it and put it in.. Voila, fixed everything! the trucks back to being my reliable mode of transportation again. Thanks for all the help!

Old 11-07-2005, 02:58 AM
360DakotaPwr
Veteran

Disconnect the battery first. Most newer alternators have the voltage regulator built into the alternator itself. Especially if is a factory nippondenso part.

Quick Reply: 1991 dodge charging problems