2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'97 ram transmission relay fuse??

Old 09-08-2009, 06:00 PM
donnyrob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 ram transmission relay fuse??

My transmission started dropping out of overdrive and not going to 1st for take offs. DTC is p0748. Service manual says to check the transmission relay and I'm not getting power to it. Its not getting power to engage the relay. The manual also talks about a poss. open fuse?? Does anyone know where this fuse would be located at.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:25 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the service manual and that should be more than what you need to know.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-ram-faq.html

Old 09-10-2009, 03:17 PM
RockRam2500

Keep me updated on what your solution is, I have a very similar problem right now. Sorry I don't have any info for you, I just parked my truck and haven't wanted to mess with it for a couple of weeks.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:53 AM
donnyrob

The fuse is the "engine" fuse in the fuse block inside the cab. The manual I was using says to check the relay with the ignition in the on position without the engine running and this does not work on this model. (I've noticed several differences in electrical stuff between 1997 and 2001) When the fuel pump kicks out (ie you turn the key on and the fuel pump comes on for a second or two then goes off) the power to the transmission relay is cut also. When the engine is running I have power to the transmission relay. Unfortunately for me I have ruled out electrical problems. I changed out the governor pressure solenoid and while I was doing that noticed that I had a defective filter. One side of the filter was unattached, leaving it open to suck everything out of the pan right up into the valve body. The screen on the solenoid was stopped up and I had high hopes that the new solenoid, fresh fluid, and a good filter would fix it. No such luck. I haven't done a pressure test but I'm sure it would be low. (there was quit a bit of metal in the pan and without a good filter its been circulating throughout the transmission for quit some time) I've got almost 200,000 miles on the truck anyways so a new tranny is in the works. It's gonna set me back about 1500 bucks but I guess that's not to bad considering the 12 years of dependable service I've got out of the truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '97 ram transmission relay fuse??