Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 03:00 PM
cchavez06
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Transmission Troubles

I have a 04 CTD 4X4 that I bought a couple months ago and the trans has started giving me some troubles shifting out of second gear into third. It studders in between those gears and sometimes will shift at weird points later on in the sequence. I have noticed if I just ease into the acceleration it don't seem to studder and the same if I just whomp on it. I have checked the fluid in the trans and even cleaned all the ground on the truck that I could find. Could it be the bands needing adjusted or something similar to that? Thanks.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:05 PM
crazzydan1

check the input and out put speed sensors. ground are good u say, fpps fuel peddle position sensor could be at fault but you need to graph it or lab scope it to be sure. speed sensors are cheep. i just had my doge going in and out of lock up but it was only batt connections. good luck

Old 09-16-2009, 11:22 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Your transmission should be a 47re or 48re, Its doesn,t have input and output sensors. Unless you have a 68rfe trans. Remove the pan and inspect for any metal, adjust both bands. and replace the filter too. If you still have the problem, then the clutches maybe burnt.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:35 AM
cchavez06
Rookie

How can I tell which trans I have and are the bands pretty easy to adjust? I don't know either when the trans was last serviced it could just need a new filter and a good flushing like was said.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:11 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

There are three transmission for the 5.9L diesel, 47re,48re and a 49re trans. All three uses the same internal parts. If you had a 6.7 diesel you may have the 49re or 68rfe transmission. The 68rfe trans does have input and output turbine speed sensor.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:17 PM
cchavez06
Rookie
Default Gasket

How difficult is it to adjust those bands? I read on another forum user that had a 05 that the bands are really thin and if you tighten them too much then you are going to burn them up or break them. How do I know where their sweet spot is? Is tightening the bands a diy or is it better to take to a trans shop? Also is the trans pan gasket a reusable rubber gasket or do I just need to buy a new replacement? Sorry for all the questions I don't know much about transmissions and I'm learning slowly on this one.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:09 PM
grazmo85

steve05ram360 posted a thread awhile back that has the service manual that you can download to your computer that shows you all the parts to your truck and it has the torque specs for adjusting your bands I printed the pages from the manual last week because I am going to attempt the band adjustment on my 01 this weekend I have a 47re so I know those specs are in the manual good luck with it if you tackle it yourself

Old 10-26-2009, 12:17 PM
wa.alldiesel

go to the dealer and give them your vin# and they will print out all your truck options.

Quick Reply: Transmission Troubles