2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

'00 4.7 cooling question

Old 09-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Paints-n-cows
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '00 4.7 cooling question

I just bought this '00 Dakota with a 4.7....now I have a cooling issue.

The vehicle temp will run above the 210 mark and will creep upward. I checked the fan clutch and there was a fair amount of play in it. The fan really didn't seem like it was running at full rpm and the electric fan always seems to be running when the vehicle gets up to running temp.

When I replaced the fan clutch, it made no difference in the temp and now the fan clutch is free-wheeling as long as the electric fan is running. However, when the electric fan cycles off, the fan clutch engages and it runs at engine rpm.

The gentleman that I purchased it from said that it used to run just to the left of the 210 mark but he had noticed it running a little on the hotter side of that so he replaced the thermostat a few weeks ago but it did not correct the problem.

The questions are as follows:
1) Should the electric fan run as much as this one does? I was wondering if it continually running was depriving the engine fan clutch of the heat to make it run properly?

2) I read somewhere that the Dakotas are notorious for plugged radiators. Is this true? If so and I need to replace the radiator, is there a heavier duty one that the stock one can be replaced with?

Thanks for your time.

I like this truck and bought it as a replacement for an Explorer that had a meeting with a 12 pt buck.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't have a Gen 2 But I can help a bit.
Some electric fans do run at all times. Some don't. So it may be okay if yours is always running.

As far as I know they are not notorious for that problem, due to the parts. Usually it is the coolant or lack of care that causes build up in any vechicle.

Sounds like you have a coolant leak. Have you checked you coolant level lately. Even if you don't see a leak it may be hidden or a pin hole size.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:22 PM
carisu
Rookie

Yep, check the coolant level. I was having the same problem and I kept wondering if I needed to change a sensor or change the thermostat or something and then it occurred to me that I should check the coolant level and sure enough, it was slightly low. Hopefully that's all your problem is too.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Paints-n-cows
Amateur

Well, I just bit the bullet and did a total cooling system overhaul.

I replaced the radiator, water pump, fan clutch, thermostat, and radiator cap.

Miracle of miracles the problem is solved.

Before I jumped off of the deep end, I did make sure that the headgasket wasn't leaking (internally or externally) and that wasn't any other possible avenues of coolant escape.

It wasn't really that expensive if you weigh it against the cost of replacing an engine from overheating.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '00 4.7 cooling question