1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

'95 ecm issues

Old 09-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Mabel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 ecm issues

this is my 3rd ecm in the past year (car sat for 9 months cause i didnt have the money to pick up a new one). I just recently put another one in and got her running and firing just fine. But it seems like the car is slowly killing the ecm just like the last one i had. I talked to a guy about a year ago and he said there's two things that could be doing it. But i cannot find the guy anymore, or remember what he told me.

What could it be in my car that continues to fry perfectly fine ECMs?

Old 09-21-2009, 08:41 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd check for proper voltage/grounds you might have an altenator/regulator trouble ...Too highh of a voltage or too low can damage them or noise on the DC (bad diode)

Old 09-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Mabel

Is it possible it's the fusable links? Thats what my father believes the guy told him. He said the guy told him there are two of them, one on the firewall and one somewhere else. And if one of those are bad they can be destroying the ECM.

Either way, resetting the codes tonight and getting it scanned tomorrow. If you have anymore ideas it'd be great to hear them.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:47 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fusible links are the two white wires on the + terminal ... If they are bad no power to the ECU or the fuse panel (underhood) If they had a high resistance (corrosion) they could cause low voltage to them

Old 09-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Mabel

A bit more of information. Last night before i reset the computer codes, when the car was idling. I could barely touch the gas peddle and the RPMs would jump to 2000+, this morning after resetting the codes it only jumps to around 1,500. This is the same problem that was happening with the previous ECM before it died out.

Another thing is, the check engine light and coolant light are constantly on. But the car has coolant. Which makes me think the ECM is messing up and not reading properly. Hoping the scan today helps a bit.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Killa200
Rookie

hmm. Check your grounds to the battery, frame, and engine.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Mabel

I went and got an indepth scan last night at Tires Plus, and it was a massive waste of money. They told me that it MIGHT be because of the broken bolt holding the ecm in (I already knew about this and told them about it before they started the scan). So afterwards i decided to see if drilling out the bolt would fix the check engine light and RPM issues. And it didn't.

So, from what i can tell, and what i was told (which wasn't much by the people at tires plus). Is that, it's not the altenator or the regulator giving the ecm too much voltage. What else could it be?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '95 ecm issues