Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. Error code P0700

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 01:43 PM
alexfbi77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. Error code P0700

I found what was the problem with my 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan Transmission, Error code P0700 Transmission Control System (MIL Request). If it's only one code, that's mean TSS-(Transmission Speed Sensor) causing the problem only. so you need to check the TSS before replacing them, and there is no problem with TCM-(Transmission Control Module) So all i did pull TSS's and clean them with (Spray sensor cleaner) from metal shavings from old transmission,and put them back. And one more trick how to delete error codes from history, without OBD-II Code reader. Two easy steps, any body can do that, but this is only i did on my van, i'm not shure abou other cars or vans, so don't ask. On some cars you may burn main computer if you do this. And toyota's okay too.
Step 1. Disconnect batery cables.
Step 2. Just hold POS and NEG cable clamps together for one minute, and then put back on battery, all error codes was successfuly deleted.
Only one thing youll never know what was code number if you don't have code reader.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. Error code P0700-copy-of-1-new-tss.jpg  

Last edited by alexfbi77; 09-27-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:08 PM
alexfbi77
Default 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan

If you need location of TSS's or TCM. Then read here.
(Left TSS) located right under ATF tubings, ther is two smal tubes in front of trany, they go from radiator to trany, look closer it's rights under them.

(Right TSS located on front too, about 10 to 12 inches on rights from those tubings at same level.

And the (TCM located) under hood too, just look on passenger side fender, it's on top of every thing, big plug with 8 mm bolt in center. Don't goof around with TCM, that thing is expencive, and require programming.

Last edited by alexfbi77; 09-28-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:33 PM
22dodge
Banned

Originally Posted by alexfbi77
I found what was the problem with my 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan Transmission, Error code P0700 Transmission Control System (MIL Request). Transmissions' ID is different. And that's mean different sensors. Like Transmission speed sensor, this sensor only on transmission i found with different plug, so all i did. Replace all clutch discks on old transmission, i pull them from new one, this is the best choice i found, because of that plug, and different size of TSS-(Transmission Speed Sensor) And now i don't have any problems, computer read all original parts and i don't have to do any sensors calibrations.

You must be from a foreign country because I can't make sense of your description.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:50 PM
alexfbi77
Smile

Yes i'm from Ukraine, any body can tell, cuz of my spell, but i'm okay with that. At last i'm hapy i did fix my van's trany without extra cost. It's all ready cost me $1200 Dollars to buy other trany, used of course with 57.000 miles on. So all i done, just clean both TSS left and right, and delete all error codes, and that was it...

Old 09-28-2009, 12:09 PM
alexfbi77
Default 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan

It start last winter. Idrove 100 miles for groceries shoping, on the way home, after i drove 20 miles, trany start sliping, it feels like wheels got on ice or some thing, so i drove another 2.5 miles and pulls up to gas station, and chech all oil, everything was ok, so i get in the van and put on gear, and nothing happen, van won't drive, i try switching gears, but wont drive until i give them 3 to 4 thousand RPM. So i call my friend he pic me up, and next day i drove there truck with trailer and took my van home.
Next day i call mechanic and explain him situation, he told me. Before you pull off your trany, do first this, take trany oil pan off and look if in oil pan some mud looking shiny or any sight of metal, and it was. So next he told me to take off trany and replace all clutch disck's, it's cost around $600 bucks, so i didn't want messing up with that disck's with out proper tools, so i bought other trany used one 57.000 miles on put on van. and drove about 120 miles, before CEL came on, so i thought its again trany, but this time was only dirty sensor, i didn't flush the radiator, and all that mud get back in oil pan, but on the way there stick on one of those TSS, and TSS won't read speed, and give me error code P0700, So after i clean the sensors, i did delete error code by holding two battery clamps together for one minute, then putt back on battery, and all errors gone for good.
So my advice, before pull trany, pull trany's oil pan and look for any small metal dust, of course they will looks like mud in there, if so, then you have to replace clutch discks. If oil pan clean inside, then its computer, you have to re calibrate, it's not the sensors, unles they dirty.And it's not TCM, it's inside trany, Dealer can calibrate them. And check trany swithing gear rod for loosen bolt, if so then, putt gear stick on <P> Mode and tight bolt on rod. make shure trany in <P> Mode too.
Just i case, if you will pull off trany oil pan, to putt back you will need black or red or orange RTV Silicone. First clean with acetone trany and oil pan surface proper from any oil, then putt RTV about 1/8 to 3/16 of inch all around, even around bolts on oil pan, then put oil pan evenly on trany, and don't push too hard, you ll squash silicone out and they will leack, so put all bolts back on but DON"T USE ANY WRENCHES TO TIGHT THEM UP, ONLY YOUR HAND! Come back in 24 Hours, with socket and re tight all bolts equaly all the way but not too much. And add ATF until dip stick show is full. Start engine, putt van on parking brake, and put trany on NEUTRAL Then pull trany dip stick and see how much ATF you need to add. GOOD LUCK. Have questions? no problem i ll try to answer.

Last edited by alexfbi77; 09-28-2009 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. Error code P0700