3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bolt size on Trans Pan????

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:44 AM
PX
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt size on Trans Pan????

Can anyone tell me what size bolts are holding the pan on my transmission? I've got a stripped out bolt and wanted to run up and pick up a new bolt or helicoil to fix it today. I can't run out and pull the bolt in my work clothes. I figured someone might know the size. A lot of Dodge Smart people on this forum for sure!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:49 AM
PX
Professional

BTW.. This is the 4.7 L motor... 4WD...

Old 10-08-2009, 09:02 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure on the size, but where is the bolt? Is it on a corner or on a straight part? If it's not on a corner i would just run without it. It will hold as long as you sealed it up properly. Otherwise, your going to need to pull the pan back off to clean the threads out and stick a heli-coil or whatever up in there, unless you drill out the pan hole larger??

Old 10-08-2009, 09:33 AM
PX
Professional

It's (1) bolt from the front DS corner. And it just started leaking. I'm planning on dropping the pan and replacing the gasket and filter. I had the filter changed last year because I couldn't find a filter and gasket kit without going to the dealership. I noticed they used a ton of silicone in that area. So I think they knew they stripped the bolt out and tried to cover it up.. It's been too long to go back and complain now.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:54 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

That sucks. That is why i don't like anyone touching my vehicles. Since the housing is aluminum, I would just open up the hole and install a bigger bolt. Just make sure it's easily distinguished from the other bolts whether it be the head or color..etc.. i think that is much easier than dealing with a helicoil. After all, how often will that transmission pan come down enough to worry about 1 oddball bolt?

Old 10-08-2009, 10:02 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

There is a tutorial around here on how to change and flush the trans and in it there are the bolt sizes. People have a problem over tightening them and breaking them so before i did mine I went to Lowes and bought all new bolts and used them in the trans. Needless to say i didnt break any but I can tell you Lowes has them. Just take on with you and match it up.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:03 AM
PX
Professional

That's a very good idea! I'll have to mark it with some paint or something.

Quick Reply: Bolt size on Trans Pan????