2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

wiring issue with plug at blower resister

Old 07-30-2008, 08:21 PM
ccap
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring issue with plug at blower resister

the plug that plugs into the blower resister and connected to the wiring harness is no good.Does the dealer sell a repair plug that can be attached to the wires without dealing with the entire wiring harness

Old 07-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Natedogg625
Record Breaker
Default RE: wiring issue with plug at blower resister

I had a problem w/ my wiring not too long ago, by the looks of it I have new wires running to the resistor. Im not entirely sure if its just wires or a whole harness. Ill ask tomorrow when im at work.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:43 PM
ccap

to answer my own question,yes the dealer does sell a replacement plug with about a foot and a half of wire attached so you can cut the old plug off and reconnect with butt connectors.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:57 AM
nesielheum

Hi ccap,
The replacement plug is not as simple as it sounds. PN# 5017124-AB List $64.00 comes with 20 wires with snap in terminals (10 gold plated, 10 tin plated) , a plug, 5 pieces of shrink tube, an assortment of crimp connectors that appear to need a special tool, and 2 plastic pieces that I have no idea what they are for. The aforementioned wires come in equal #'s of green or violet. The green appear to be 14 AWG and the violet 18 AWG there are no markings, and no instructions are provided. I am going to have to climb under the dash to figure out which wires are best suited for my Truck 2002 4WD. I know that I only need 5 but which 5 do I choose? I also want to make sure I match single colored wires to their proper terminals. It would have been so much more convenient if Mopar would have offered a simple pre-wired plug with aout a 6" lead.
I am replacing both the plug and resistor this weekend, so I will let you know if I learn anything useful along the way. If I can I'll post some photos of the kit, and perhaps aphoto walk through of the repair process.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:40 PM
ccap

yes ,you are correct about the replacement plug kit.I used the 14awg wire,because at least 2 of my old wires were that size.The other 3 were larger then the purple ones provided,but smaller than the green ones in the kit so I figured I was better off with the larger wire.In all it took about 1/2 hour to cut and splice the new plug in and all works well now.Thanks for your reply.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:09 PM
nesielheum

ORIGINAL: ccap

yes ,you are correct about the replacement plug kit.I used the 14awg wire,because at least 2 of my old wires were that size.The other 3 were larger then the purple ones provided,but smaller than the green ones in the kit so I figured I was better off with the larger wire.In all it took about 1/2 hour to cut and splice the new plug in and all works well now.Thanks for your reply.
I did the same with the larger wires. I also put together a Power Point of the repair process, but I am not sure how to post it to the Dodge Forum. I thought that it might be useful for some of the other members that have not run into this problem before.

I still don't know how to post a power point here, but I made an attempt at providing some info onto a webpage.

I hope this helps someone here: Do It Yourself Blower Motor Resistor and Plug Repair >>> http://mysite.verizon.net/vzew8gyh/id1.html
Sincerest apologies as the POWER POINT PRESENTATION is no longer available on the Verizon website. Will attempt to find an alternate place to post it.

Last edited by nesielheum; 07-19-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Dead link
Old 07-23-2009, 02:05 PM
AMD Rules

Thanks for the powerpoint Tim. A year later , and I found this powerpoint file just when I needed it. I figured the OEM replacement wire harness would come with the the leads color-coded to match and pre-installed in the connector. Bad assumption. My old one is in shrapnel in order to remove it... it was melted bad. I didn't have a clue which wire went where.

This wiring kit and blower installation went smoothly. The internet is a great resource at times. New blower & new resistor with wiring kit are functioning as new again.

Thanks again.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:54 PM
BobbyS

I have a 1997 Dakota that the blower does not work on any speed setting, so I will have to check this resistor thing out. Does anyone know if the resistor is in the same spot on a 97?

Thanks!!!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:57 AM
in2chaos
Default Motor Replacement?

Hey All,

Just a quick ? for ya'll...When I called the dealership, they advised me that I should also replace the blower motor as there is a resistance problem in it that caused the meltdown of the plug...Have you all found that to be the case or are they just trying to sell me a blower motor I do not need?

Old 08-02-2009, 08:19 AM
AMD Rules

in2chaos,

I've replaced the resistor more than 5 times on this Dakota, the last few suffered melted connectors. The latest melted connector emitted a burnt plastic smell, and the connector was in really bad shape. I've read online that there was a series of blower motors that were produced that function fine, but overload the resistors. The dealer could not confirm this, but did recommend that I replace the blower. I have replaced the blower motor, and installed the resistor and wiring kit. So far so good. To early to say everything is fine, but it functions properly. I paid about $180 CDN for the blower & wiring kit, and the dealer tossed the resistor in for free.

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wiring issue with plug at blower resister