Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Left turn signal blinks brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 06:38 PM
canyonland23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Left turn signal blinks brake lights

Right turn signal operates as normal. Left turn signal blinks the front left bulb, both left rear bulbs, the 3rd brake light and the top right rear bulb, but not the front right. I've tried to chnage out bulbs and swap them around to no avail. I've also tried to replace the flasher relay under the dash to no avail as well. What could the problem be? Thanks.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:25 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Need more information, year and body. NS 1996 -2000,RS 2001-2007 or RT 2008-. And does the 4 way flasher work as normal too.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:06 PM
canyonland23

Whoops. Sorry about that. 2000 Grand Caravan LE, 3.8L, AWD. The 4-way hazard flasher flashes everything. Both top and bottm lights in the tail on both sides, the 3rd brake light and both front lights. I'm not sure what you mean by "NS 1996 -2000,RS 2001-2007 or RT 2008". Hope this helps.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:55 PM
TJeepman
Professional

Sounds like a two filament light bulb in a shared socket and the signal light current is leaking to the brake light circuit through a short in the socket.
What happens when you remove the signal light bulb. Do the brake lights still activate?
Is the signal light a two filament bulb, one filament for signal light, the other for park or brake?

Old 10-25-2009, 08:51 PM
canyonland23

The tail lights are a 3 bulb setup. The top one for brakes and night running lights. The middle for signals and night running lights. And the bottom one for reverse. The the top and the middle bulbs are the same dual filament type (3057). If one or both of the bulbs are removed from the tail light assy, then the left rurn signal still blinks the 3rd brake light, the top right rear bulb, and the front left. So, is it a tail light assy? It does have electronics because the bulbs plugs are pressure twisted to make contact when twisted/locked in place to make electrical contact. Is it maybe the PCM under the hood next to the relay housing?

Yes, the brake lights still work.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:40 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Here is an easy way to find the problem. Remove the tail lamp assy out from the good side and plug it in the other side. If the blinkings work normal, then the tail lamp assy is the problem. NS is the body style of your van. If you had a 2001 then it would be an RS body.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:16 PM
TJeepman
Professional

Originally Posted by canyonland23
The tail lights are a 3 bulb setup. The top one for brakes and night running lights. The middle for signals and night running lights. And the bottom one for reverse. The the top and the middle bulbs are the same dual filament type (3057). If one or both of the bulbs are removed from the tail light assy, then the left rurn signal still blinks the 3rd brake light, the top right rear bulb, and the front left. So, is it a tail light assy? It does have electronics because the bulbs plugs are pressure twisted to make contact when twisted/locked in place to make electrical contact. Is it maybe the PCM under the hood next to the relay housing?

Yes, the brake lights still work.
There's current from your signal lights leaking to your brake lights somehow.

When you put the left (drivers's side) signal light on, does your license plate light come on as well as your center brake light and your left brake light? Do you have a trailer towing connector that could be shorting?

Some observations when looking at the wiring diagram for the 2000, which can be found at http://www.oplin.org/search/google/a...itesearch=#195
- power supply to the upper tail light and the lower tail light is the same, a brown/yellow wire. It could be that the signal light socket is shorting some power across to the tail light, which in turn is causing the other tail light to come on. One would have to take careful note of which filament is suppose to light (do what/when) and compare that to what's actually happening.

- power for your center mounted brake light and rear brake lights is from the same source (white/tan wire). Is your right side brake light working?

Old 10-27-2009, 08:47 PM
canyonland23

Well, swapping out the left tail light for the right one did not change the results. I still get wierd blinking in the both left rear lights, the center brake light, the top right rear light and the front left light when using the left turn signal. I inspected the trailer towing harness as far as I could see and it all looks good. No nicks or bare wires or anything. It does travel up behind the bumper and up above the spare tire. If the spare tire was loose, could that maybe have chaffed the wire harness? I'm not sure where the wires exactly go to meet up with the regiular chasis wiring for the rear of the van. I appreciate everyone's responses for helping me. Anyone have anything else for me? Thanks.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:27 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

That tells me the tail lamp assy is good. Have try to replace the combo flasher? That would also cause a feed back problem too.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:25 AM
canyonland23

If that combo flasher you speak of id the one under the dasher, 4th row up from the bottom in position #4, yes, I tried to change that out. I was lucky enough to have the dealer return it for me since electrical parts are non-returnable. I believe it's also called the Non-DRL Flasher Relay. That change out did not work. I'm just going to have to have my mechanic troubleshoot it at whatever per hour diagnosing charge there is. BUt before that, I may just take apart my sterring column to take a look at the turn signal switch to see if there is a greae build up. This post says that fixed their problem. http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=9163

Quick Reply: Left turn signal blinks brake lights