Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Is it very difficult to change spark plugs on 06 hemi charger?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:31 AM
dodgegirl67
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it very difficult to change spark plugs on 06 hemi charger?

Dealership wants $217 to change spark plugs on 06 daytona hemi charger. Ouch! Is it all that difficult? 16 plugs. Any advice on how to do it myself? Any tricks o need to know? Do I need factory mopar plugs or can I use champion brand? Please post any link that will help

Old 10-12-2009, 10:23 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

As you know there are 16 plugs, all it takes it time. The Champion (OEM) copper plugs are the best. Part Number RE14MCC4.

There are 8 coil packs, one per cylinder. On each coil pack there is a electrical connector. Each coil packs is held on by 2 bolts (10mm wrench).

Steps to replace are:

Disconnect the electrical connector.
Remove the 2 bolts.
Pull up on the coil pack to remove it.
Drop the spark plug socket with extension on it into the hole and remove the plugs (remember 2 plugs per cylinder).
Gap new plugs to .045 and add a tiny bit of anti-seize to the threads and reinstall.
Put the coil pack back on and plug in the electrical connector.

Move on and do the remaining 7 cylinders.

Total cost an hour or two of your time and $40.00 for the plugs.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:30 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a rather difficult and time consuming job to do on the HEMI.... $217 to do the job is one of the cheapest prices that I have read around here. Most are paying upwards of $300 or more. Someone that has done the job and knows where everything is and has the proper tools can do it in about 1.5 to 2 hours. First timers have taken upwards of 4 hours to do.

The problem is that one side is really hard to get to and this is why it takes so long. If you have the time and the tools to do it, then you can give it a shot.

As far as what plugs to use, that is like debating what kind of oil to use. You will get all kinds of answers depending on who you talk to. Some will say to buy mopar only, some will say to upgrade to a certain performance plug, and some will say to stay far far away from both. My recommendation would be to just stay away from the generic store brands that you can get a plug for $2 or less. The Hemi is a performance engine and you don't want to skimp on the plugs section.

If you got the time, go for it. Worst case is that you get stuck at a certain spot and have it finished at a garage.

Mango got in there before me... LOL!!!!

Last edited by KRZY.BMET; 10-12-2009 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Mango is quick like a NINJA
Old 10-17-2009, 01:34 AM
mhick855
Default Spark Plugs

What about useing E-3 Spark Plugs. Are they any good?

Old 10-17-2009, 08:22 AM
MangoInTX
Charger Moderator

Copper is the best electric conductor used in spark plugs. It don't last as long as the other fancy platinum and/or multi prong electrode spark plugs.

I choose to stay with the OEM plugs not only for cost but for the copper electrode.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:00 AM
IntrepidRam

Stick with what the factory put in it

Old 12-28-2009, 10:39 AM
rcs426
Rookie

its realy only about a 30min job very easy if you do one coil at a time u dont need to undo the electrical connector

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it very difficult to change spark plugs on 06 hemi charger?