2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ball joint problems!

Old 11-13-2009, 07:54 AM
nkoch123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball joint problems!

I have a 1997 Ram with the Dana 44 front axle. I needed to replace the top ball joints for alignment, so i thought I would replace all four. Well when I took it apart the bottom ones did not have a snap ring, but when I pushed them out they did have a grove for the snap ring. When I put the new ones in, the bottom one would not come up far enough for the snap ring to be put on. But I got it together and took it to the garage for alignment and the spindle set on the ball joints after driving it I guess, but I am out of threads on the bottom ball joint( if they would go in farther for the snap ring they would have enough threads). And both top ball joint turn inside the yoke, I set the mark a little behind the coil spring when I got to the garage they were pointing at the coil spring, last the top one on the passenger side pushed up out of the yoke about 1/8'. I did use anti-seize, could that be why?
PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 11-13-2009, 06:54 PM
xray99
Banned

You say the bottoms are threaded ?
Tops, if they are lose enough to spin, sounds like you got the wrong parts.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:12 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Doesn't make sense you ran out of threads on the bottom?
Like X-ray said, sounds like they are the wrong ones.
are they OEMs or after market?
The Dana 60's have changed several times and the 1st set of ball joints I got from the dealer were 50 thousandths under sized, had to wait till monday to bitch about it.. I would think Dana probably played around with the 44's also.
Ironicly the first set didn't have a snap ring the second set did....
So where did you get them?
2WD or 4WD (i don't know if it matters, but some one here may)

Old 11-13-2009, 08:21 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Had a alzheimers moment there sorry it's 4WD with the Dana
Doh...

Old 11-14-2009, 01:38 AM
JackJ
Captain

When I did mine a while back, the Moog ones I bought did not fit, they were to small. So I went back and go the duralast ones and they fit fine.

When it came to the snap ring, the ones I took off had no snap ring and the directions for the new ones said they were only needed if they are able to be put on, mine seated jst fine so I did not worry about it.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:54 PM
nkoch123

Well, the ball joints I got are right. So I took it back apart and put it back together and pointed the line on the top ball joint towards the back of the truck. Everything looked like it was going to work. So I drove about 1/2 mile and the top ball joint turned back to the coil spring. Some ideas that I found was that some aftermarket manufactures don't work is some axles as well as others(I guess). So I am taking it to a garage, and napa said that I could take the ball joints I bought back. So I will let you know how the garage makes out.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by nkoch123; 11-20-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ball joint problems!