3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thermostat Good?Bad?

Old 11-22-2009, 12:27 PM
butch1581
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat Good?Bad?

I posted in the FAQ section, but nobody really looks there very often so.....

It was mentioned in the FAQ that the 180* t stat lowers the temp and changes the A/F ratio for better preformance.........

With my mods (CAI, Predator 93 tune) would I bennefit from a 180 t-stat?

I thought that the predator took care of advancing the timing and modifying the A/F ratio? If it does I dont see any bennefit from it other than having colder heat in the middle of WI winter!

Old 11-22-2009, 03:19 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Cooler heater and more engine wear is the only benefit from the 180 thermostat.
If it was a race only vehicle, then colder is better. You need the heat of the stock thermostat to seal the rings at their best and keep the oil from wanting to sludge up.
Not a wise investment on a late model engine with such tight tolerances.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:22 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

given that you are complaining abot could heat, i'd recommend against the colder tstat. I have seen no evidence that it helps anything prformance based. Even if it does, its nothing big.

maybe someone will contest this, but I don't see how colder coolant will change your A/F ration.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:51 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I will contest this, I have had a wideband on my truck at KRC Performance. With CAI and Tuner with a Performance tune on my truck already, the addition of LT headers all worked to lean me out quite a bit. Not CEL lean, but fairly close.
Marty suggested I go to a 180* thermostat to keep the truck in closed loop, in which, the PCM will richen the mixture slightly (just as happens when your truck is warming up.

Worked for me, the change to the cooler thermostat brought me almost up to bone stock, factory A/F ratio.

I have NO numbers with just a CAI and performance tune (both act to lean the mix, one via more air entering the TB, the other by advancing the timing) but since my truck was still not lean enough to produce a CEL with LT headers as well, I don't think you are so lean that you NEED one.

For me, it's a band aide, since the only real way for me to richen the A/F would have been to get a piggyback A/F controller or a custom tune. The $20 thermostat is a much cheaper solution...

Old 11-22-2009, 05:33 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

that actually makes sense. how would keeping the engine cooler keep it closed loop? that's the opposite of what I would think would happen.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
that actually makes sense. how would keeping the engine cooler keep it closed loop? that's the opposite of what I would think would happen.
Sorry 'Feej, I were watching the Giant game whilst typing your reply, meant to say that the cooler t-stat would keep from entering closed loop...

I am getting too many logs on the fire, the other day I had guy buy 10 quarts of fluid for his diffs. I told him the rear took about 4.75 Qts and the front slightly less. Of course I meant to say pints... lol........................

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-22-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:53 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, at least he will have enough left for the next couple of changes

Old 11-22-2009, 09:00 PM
butch1581
Captain

thanks guys I know there is a little bit of a debate over this. With the predator tuner and the CAI do you think my truck is really running lean at all? I would think the predator would add fuel to make the correct ratio, am I wrong on that? Thanks again.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:17 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

with just a tuner and CAI, you're fine with the stocker. you'd probably do more harm than good with the tstat, cuz then your hands might be cold

Old 11-23-2009, 05:03 AM
abarmby
Champion

If you fit a 180 in the depths of Winter........be prepared for very cold feet and some codes to be thrown.
I did this in the UK when temps were like 2-5 deg C and although it did add a "little pep" It hurt my mileage 2-3mpg and my heater was sooooo cold!
Not worth it in my case.
Al.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thermostat Good?Bad?