Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1999 Dodge Caravan Transmission - Leaks Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:13 PM
timbogates
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dodge Caravan Transmission - Leaks Need Help

I have a 1999 Dodge Caravan Sport automatic transmission 3.3 L engine 120,000 miles. During the course of the life of this transmission I have had it serviced every 50,000 (new fluid and filter). I noticed a slow leak in my driveway the other day and the transmission dipstick was low on fluid.

The leak is around or near the transmission pan but I cannot see exactly where it may be coming. What would be some of the minor problems that may cause it to leak?

I have not hit anything that would cause this to start also. What would be things that would make it leak at this location?

If I have a seal leaking what does that normally cost at a average repair station - not the dealer? Thanks I welcome suggestions.

Also, If I have a leaking seal is there any additive that really helps or does some good on this matter.

THANKS FOR HELP>

Old 12-06-2009, 08:28 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

There are easily a dozen 'possible' spots were it will leak. Now what you do is clean off the surfaces. get some leak trace dye that is trans fluid compatable. pour the dye into the trans and drive it for a day or so. then using a black light, you will easily pickup where it's leaking from.as for how much it will cost to fix can range from $40 on the low end to several hundred $$ depending on where the leak is coming from.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:26 PM
timbogates

If I have a leaking seal and it is too costly for repair I will add fluid as needed. Is there any additives that you recommend that might help slow this problem?

Are some seal replacements easier than others? Would most non-dealership shops charge around 400- 500 for seal repair? I am just curious. Thank you for the help.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:34 PM
circumventor
Banned

there aint no mechanic ina can taht will stop a leak. if yall got a pump seal thats the most exp part cuz theyd have to drop the trans so the labor is about 4hrs plus parts and fluid.. maybe its a sol pack or gasket thats about 1/2hr and not too expensive maybe its a pan gasket that aint to bad, maybe its a rear pan gasket thats ez and cheap or the rear diff gasket that's a lot of work on these vans but parts are cheap. could be a cooler hose. i got a van given to me cuz it quit moving and the guy figured the trans was shot so i towed him off the road and he gave the the van. well 10min after i got her home, fixed the hose put in some fluid and sold it the next day.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Acej75

I have a 2000 caravan se it has a leaking at the bellhoseing i hear pop went driving then it was leaking but it drives find no slipping went it get low on fliud then it will not drive but if top up it goes good what would be the part i need for anyone

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Caravan Transmission - Leaks Need Help