Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fuel Filter Change 2004 Cummins

Old 04-23-2005, 11:40 PM
jasonwyo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter Change 2004 Cummins

What are the steps to changing the fuel filter? My father wants to take his Cummins to a quick lube place to have it done and I'm more than certain its not worth the money for them to do it.

Old 04-24-2005, 01:03 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel Filter Change 2004 Cummins

get a fleetguard filter, small drain pan and some 5/8 ID hose 1-1/8 socket or large cresent and you can do it yourself in about 5 min.

after you have the filter, put the hose entension over the bottom of the hose that is there. it will extend the length of the stock hose so you dont get Deisel all over the steering linkage and other stuff. put a drain pan under the hose and open the fuel filter resease valve and let it drain away. this is also a good time to see how much water is in there as well

once it has come to just a trickle loosen the lid of the filter houseing with the wrench, after about 1-2 turns you should be able to unscrew by hand. then lift the lid straight out, Filter will be attached to the lid. pop the old filter off, pull the O-ring off. before you install the new O-ring make sure to put some oil on it just like you do when you change the oil filter. then just snap the new filter in place.

Before you install the new filter it is advisable to wipe the inside of the fuel filter canister with a clean lint free cloth to get any gunk that may be in there. once you do that install the new filter and tighten the cap, but dont over do it.

after you have everything in MAKE SURE you close the fuel filter drain!!! Pull the hose extension off and your ready to prime the system.

to prime the filter just bump the starter a few times. when you put the key into the run possition you will hear the lift pump run for a few seconds. When it shuts off just bump the starter to force the lift pump to turn back on. do this about 4-5 times then go for a full start. if eyerthing went well it will crank right up. if it dies, just bump the starter a few more time, you still have some air trapped in the canister.

hope that helps

oh, did I mention to make sure to close the Canister drain valve before bumping the starter

heres a GOOD place to get your stuff. I go to the shop in person, nice people and will help you over the phone if you have any questions Genos Garage heres a direct link to the fuel filter

Old 04-24-2005, 11:44 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh, did I mention to make sure to close the Canister drain valve before bumping the starter
Not to bring up bad memories, but I'm guessing you've had previous experiences with the evil drain valve being left open... J/K

Old 04-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: osteodoc08

Not to bring up bad memories, but I'm guessing you've had previous experiences with the evil drain valve being left open... J/K

not yet, I just dont want someone else to do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Change 2004 Cummins