3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

2008 dodge ram 1500 hemi 4x4 big horn PROBLEMS!!

Old 12-11-2009, 08:57 AM
rebwie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 dodge ram 1500 hemi 4x4 big horn PROBLEMS!!

at 27k miles I started hearing a bad rattle in front end drivers side.. took to dealer ,they said both outer tie rods were loose and replaced both tie rods..well this did not get rid of rattle( sounds like your going over rr tracks slow,just driving down smooth road).... i took it back and now they were saying the shocks were blown...27k!!! ,they also said no warranty on the new mopar ones.........
so I decided to have after market ones put on from auto zone as they have lifetime warranty.......and why would I put the exact same ones on that blew at 27k miles !!!!!!!!!!!!

auto zone ordered replacements for my year make model,when they came in they looked different then the ones on it,so they ordered another set,they as well looked different,we crawled under and looked ...found out that NO ONE but MOPAR makes replacement shocks yet for my style ....inside spring

so I was forced to have mopar ones put back on...........well STILL having the rattle after these were put on
i had my mechanic look at it ,we found bracket that holds shock needed replaced and stab links,,,,,had this done and rattle was gone ...for 1000 miles ......WELL THE RATTLE IS BACK ....sounds like suspension is shaking and rattling..........ANYONE ELSE GOT THIS PROBLEM? and what is it!!! we also can see where the coil spring has rubbed frame!!! this is a 2008 and I should not of had to replace tie rods and shocks yet anyhow....

Old 12-11-2009, 12:21 PM
snowhill

I have 2007 Laramie quad cab, driver side tie rod bad after 5000 miles, shock leaking after 2000 miles, 10000 miles started to hear bad clunk noise from driver side and worse damping, it is bad original I bought new bilstein HD front shocks and the ckunk noise is gone and my truck is soooo much better, it is like a totally different truck. Those shocks should fit your model too. I didnt want to buy broken original shocks again

Old 12-11-2009, 12:24 PM
snowhill
Thumbs up

I bought my Bilsteins HD from shockwearhouse.com

Old 12-11-2009, 12:33 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Seems like a crap shoot with the '06+ coil over front ends. A LOT of guys have nothing but problems, a LOT of guys have problems when they try to level or lift the front end and many lift the hell out of it, abuse it, and report no problems at all!

As for shocks not being available for the '06+ coil over fronts, there are many brands that are out there. I know for a fact there are Monroes, Ranchos and Bilsteins for it, plus Rancho and Bilstein even make all-in-one shock and lift kits for your truck...

Old 12-11-2009, 12:58 PM
cajun ram
Rookie

Check your sway bar bushings and mounts on the front cross member. They have the nuts welded to a plate inside the frame and my plate broke in half and allowed the bolts to back out.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:56 AM
auditor

I have a 2008 Dodge 1500 w/hemi that has 22,000 miles and it has a rattle that sounds like the one you have. I took it to dealership last monday and they told me they couldn't find any problems. It is loud enough that my mother-in-law that has a hearing problem can hear it. Taking it back tomorrow because I had a local mechanic put it on the rack yesterday and found another problem. The rack and pinion was leaking fluid. Did you ever get your rattle stop for good?
Thanks

Old 01-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Fav40
Professional

I bought my truck with 21k and had my driver side tie rod replaced at 26k. Have 28k now and no noises. I plan to install Bilsteins semi-soon tho.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:06 PM
LinerJoe
Veteran

Originally Posted by rebwie
auto zone ordered replacements for my year make model,when they came in they looked different then the ones on it,so they ordered another set,they as well looked different,we crawled under and looked ...found out that NO ONE but MOPAR makes replacement shocks yet for my style ....inside spring
I just had new Rancho 5000's put on the front end of my 2007. There are definitely replacement struts out there. For the Rancho 5000's, the part number is RS5788 (for stock length). Bilstein's are also available.

Also, I had the driver's side tie rod replaced at about 29k miles.... 4 wheel parts was doing my alignment (which they never did well), but they found the bad tie rod, and just replaced it for free since they had a new one taken off another Ram which had just gotten a lift before being sold new).

joe

Old 01-27-2010, 06:50 PM
mpk4580
Rookie
Default My struts went 150 miles after purchase

150 mile after I purchased my 07 QC at 43,000 I was seeing oil puddles in my driveway. Took a look under and one strut was leaking. Bring it back to the dealer and they replaced both struts for a $100 deductable but the still feel like crap. At 49,000 I had Cooper Zeons installed and while doin my alignment they noticed driver's side tie rod was bad....thanks for letting me know Dealership. Would like to put aftermarket all around.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:55 AM
350iroc
Default 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Front Suspension Issues

30k Both Outer Tie Rods replaced. 30k Both Front shocks blown including both Shock mounts were cracked. Left wheel bearing failed due to shock issue. Windshield cracked because of hard ride cause by failed shocks! Dodge as of May of 2010 has recognized and corrected the shock problem with a change part. The replacements are a different geometry than the originals and look completely different than the stock defective units. Check to make sure oil residue is on your shocks that leaked out and have the dealer replace them with the new revised suspension components including the revised upper shock mounts. Check your wheel bearings as they probably took a pounding like mine. Here are the new part numbers from my invoice for reference:

5170298AH (Absorber- Suspension) x 2
55398091AB (Mount-Shock Upper) x 2

Hope this helps someone out there. Try to do this before your 3 year 36k warranty is up!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 dodge ram 1500 hemi 4x4 big horn PROBLEMS!!