2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Where is the temperature gauge sending unit on a 1999 5.9

Old 12-12-2009, 09:11 PM
smf4702
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the temperature gauge sending unit on a 1999 5.9

I just had a rebuilt 1999 5.9 installed in my 1996 Dodge ram. When I picked it up, the dashboard temperature gauge was not functioning. I found a blank plastic connection near the thermostat housing and ran a wire from the connector to ground and confirmed that the blank connector is SUPPOSED to be connected to the temperature gauge sending unit. But I cannot find the sending unit (or sensor) to hook it to on the new motor. Temperature sensor (that talks to the computer) is right behind the alternator and adjacent to the thermostat housing, but there does not appear to be anywhere to hook the connector that operates the gauge itself......HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-12-2009, 09:27 PM
eaglestorm
Professional

the 2 sensors are next to each other if you only have one it's not the correct manifold

Old 12-12-2009, 09:37 PM
smf4702

There is definitely only one sensor - and it is on the passenger side of the thermostat housing. Everything else seems to fuction just fine. Is the temperature gauge sensor the only problem I am likely to have if I have the "wrong intake?"

Another (stupid) thought - can I splice into the sensor that is on the intake and run my gauge off of that without keeping it from talking to the computer?

Old 12-12-2009, 09:49 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

On the 1999 there was one water temperature sensor. In 1996 there was two. They were located near the thermostat housing. Just swap the intake from the 1996 motor onto the 1999 motor and change the plenum gasket while you're at it.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:32 AM
smf4702

Thanks, PD. That is not the best news I have had all day - as swapping the intake would have been a simple job while both engines were out of the truck: but at least I can quit looking for the temperature gauge sending unit now, since it does not exist!

Besides lacking the temperature sensor, will I run into any other problems if I leave the '99 intake on the engine in the short term?

That said, I don't want to drive a new motor very far without some indication of temperature - especially a Dodge. The way I see it, there are two possible temporary solutions until I have time to replace the intake (already gave the original back as a core - and have to find a new one and find a free weekend over the holidays!):

1) Install an aftermarket temperature gauge. Problem: Not sure where I would put the sending unit if the '99 intake wont accept it without drilling a hole (which would require pulling the intake in any event).

2) Tap into the existing temperature sending unit - and split off a wire to the gauge. Problem: Not sure if the signal sent from the existing temperature sensor will run the gauge, or if splitting the signal will impact the reading sent to the computer - the truck runs GREAT now, and I don't want to confuse the electronics.

Thoughts?

Old 12-13-2009, 09:43 AM
smf4702

Okay: three cups of coffee and I have another idea. Could I just purchase a temperature gauge sending unit for the 96, and replace a piece of radiator hose with a segment of metal tubing, tap the sensor into the metal segment, run a ground to the sensor, and hook the existing temperature gauge connection to that? If these ideas are getting worse - just let me know . . . I have a serious coffee habit....

Old 12-14-2009, 02:47 PM
RedRigRon
Rookie

Originally Posted by smf4702
Okay: three cups of coffee and I have another idea. Could I just purchase a temperature gauge sending unit for the 96, and replace a piece of radiator hose with a segment of metal tubing, tap the sensor into the metal segment, run a ground to the sensor, and hook the existing temperature gauge connection to that? If these ideas are getting worse - just let me know . . . I have a serious coffee habit....
Putting it before the thermostat into the housing, hmmm not sure. you would think it should go some ware around/after the thermostat into the manifold.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:10 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

maybe drill a hole on the right side of the thermostat housing (on manifold) to fit it in?

Old 03-27-2011, 12:56 AM
Army-Dodge21

I got same situation what did you do for this? and anyone got any ideas as to what to do?

Old 03-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You just need to drill/tap a hole into the intake manifold and put in the other sensor. As was mentioned above, prior to '98 or so, the intake manifolds had two sensors. One was for the computer, one was for the gauge. Even though in later years there was only one sensor, the spot for the other one is still there, it is just not drilled.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where is the temperature gauge sending unit on a 1999 5.9