3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Transmission fluid capacity

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:56 AM
cheers007
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi Transmission fluid capacity

Hi all.

I'm a happy new owner of a 2006 Ram Hemi quad cab Big Horn edition with 67k miles on it. I want to change the transmission fluid (2wd) and can't find a straight answer as to what the capacity is. Can someone be so kind to help me with the following capacities?

How much fluid does the entire transmission hold?

How much fluid does a simple drop the pan fluid change take (transmission)?

Supplemental question. How much fluid does the rear differential (3.92) take? I was thinking to change that as well.

Forgive me if this has been posted before as I have used the search before posting here and didn't find relevant information.

Thanks in advance! Happy Dodging!

Old 12-31-2009, 12:16 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amsoil's site has a good lookup for fluids and capacities here http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx. My rear in my 04 only took about 2 qts after the DTT was in there, but the site says 2 1/4 qts for your truck so get 3.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:25 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Think its like 17qts on the tranny fluid for a complete flush...7 or 8 for just a pan drop. 2 filters in the pan too.
2.3qts for the rear diff. 4.75 pints specifically
Full Synthetic for both FYI!
Most rear diff fluid that is Full Synthetic comes with friction modifier. Check the bottle to be sure.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:13 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.60ateight.com/DodgeRam/

that should help you out with a tranny fluid change. VERY good write up.

in fact, mods, we should try and get a hold of this guy to get permission to put that in the faqs section.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:22 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Oldirty...he did some things good like the pics, but a few things are backwards.
Like...Why not remove the transmission lines BEFORE dropping the pan. You can pump out all the fluid in the pan by dropping those lines FIRST. then no messy pan drop. Unhook the pressure line, stick it in a pan and run the engine until ithe fluid starts to sputter(~10secs give or take) it spits the fluid out fast!

As far as the transmision bolts. I ALWAYS use RTV sealant the thick setting type(Permatex 1 minute gasket) If you use RTV sealant, you can barely tighten the bolts, let the RTV set up and snug the bolts like 1/2hour later. i don't think i have ever used a torque wrench for a tranny pan or rear diff cover and I have NEVER broken bolts.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:51 PM
cheers007
Rookie

Thank you folks so much for the info. I hope you don't mind answering a few new ones.

Do all hemi's with 3.92 rear ends have limited slip? If not, then how can I tell?

Is the rear end oil that mentions "friction modification" have the limited slip "fluid" already or do I need to get it separate?

Old 12-31-2009, 03:18 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think all of them do, but you can check your glove box sticker and it should tell you the axle ratio and "anti-slip rear" if it's a limited slip. The bottles of oil will say they have the friction modifier in them if they do, a couple that do are mobil 1 and royal purple.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:00 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

When in doubt, add friction modifier....lol
Your better off to have friction modifier in an open differential than you are to Not have it with a Limited slip. Just as your better with too much than too little...to a point!
There are tags on the rear diff that should say so as well.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:54 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

DirtyDog has it right in his first post of 17qrts. I strongly suggest buying grade 5 or 8 replacement bolts for the trans pan also as they like to snap the heads off.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:44 AM
cheers007
Rookie

Thank you all for your information. I don't have a sticker in my glove box so when I take it to my mechanic, we will look for a tag on the diff/axle someplace. But I'll take dirty's suggestion in to just add the friction modifier just to be on the safe side.

If I went with the mobil 1 75w 140, does it include the friction modifier? The reason I ask is because I didn't see it labeled anywhere, however, it does have LS in the top right corner leading me to believe it is for "limited slip".

If I do need extra friction modifiers, how much do I have to put in the diff?

Quick Reply: Hemi Transmission fluid capacity