1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to hook up a tachometer on a '93

Old 01-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Hillfarmer
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to hook up a tachometer on a '93

I just bought a 1993 W250 W/360 Magnum and a 5 speed. I always like to run a tachometer with a manual transmission but the installation instructions that came with the tachometer do not cover this “new” a Dodge! They show me how to hook it up on my 1977!

Can someone tell me where I need to hook into the ignition wiring to get the signal to “fire” the tach?

Thanks.

Last edited by Hillfarmer; 01-05-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:20 PM
jmn1960
Professional

two ways (1) hook to the r terminal of the alt
(2) hook hot hot of the dist.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:41 PM
lets_baja

i only had 3 wires a hot wire, a ground, then a ground to the ign coil and my tach works fine and i have a 93 dodge

Old 01-05-2010, 03:32 PM
dreamer1uk
Amateur

Originally Posted by jmn1960
two ways (1) hook to the r terminal of the alt
(2) hook hot hot of the dist.
I never knew you vould wire an aftermarket Tach to the Alt for the RPM signal? Or are you refering to the Alt. as a source for 12v key switch source?

Most aftermarket tachs you can run from the negative side of the coil from the primary winding for the tach siganl, then a good ground, then a 12v key switch source, such as a stereo for an example.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Hillfarmer
Amateur

I need to take another look under the hood. I took a quick look after I bought the tach and I could not spot a coil at all. That is where I usually hook to. I will have to pull some plastic around the instrument panel and find a place for the light wire to connect. I figured an easy source of 12V power would be at the Cigar lighter!

I have always worked on stuff older then this and I thought maybe there was a place designated in the wiring harness for a tach. The GM HEI has a tack connection on the coil.

Thanks to each of you.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:18 AM
dreamer1uk
Amateur

Hi,

The coil should be on the firewall. However, im not a Dodge person, rather a Ford one myself and dont have much experience or knowledge on the particulars on these trucks. The 89 D150 i have, the coil is located on the firewall on the passenger side.

I will probably install a tach on mine in the very near future as i hate not having a tach. But my D150 is just to get my by while i do an engine swap and such on my Mustang However, im really impressed with my Dodge, even with it having 242k miles, it still runs surprisingly great.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Hillfarmer
Amateur

I got under the hood again and traced the center wire from the top of the distributor it led to a coil!! It is located below the alternator in front of the right exhaust manifold. It looks more like a Briggs and Stratton coil then an automotive coil! Now I just have to figure out which wire to hook into. It has a green/yellow wire and a gray wire.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:47 PM
barracudadave67

Farmer
The gray wire is the (-) neg wire on that coil. The green wire from your tach should tap into it. The red wire on your tach is power, it should be wired into a switched power source( the fuse box under the steering colunm is a good place to get that) The white wire is for the tach light, (again use the back of the fuse box). The black wire is for ground, run that wire all way to neg side of Battery. Use the back side of the fuse box, It's real easy.

barracudadave67 aka Dave C.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Hillfarmer
Amateur

Thank you, Dave, that is what I was looking for. Now I need to get to the installation. It is supposed to warm up a bit next week.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to hook up a tachometer on a '93