2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

overdrive switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:52 PM
foxea
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overdrive switch

Is there a light that is supposed to come on then you turn off the OD switch? Nothing happens (light) when I turn it off. I changed it with my parts truck and it does the same thing. Also I can not turn the OD back on unless I turn the truck off. Is that normal? It has done this since I bought it.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:14 AM
91xjgawes

You should not have to turn the truck off...you should be able to put it in, and take it out of OD by just using the button.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:15 AM
91xjgawes

and im not 100% but i think there is a light, but i have not taken mine out of OD in so long i forget...

Old 01-07-2010, 12:52 AM
barracudadave67

The O.D. light will come on when you push the button. When you push the button, the light should come on, and the tranny "Should Not" go into overdrive. May be your bulb is burnt out. On a 94 I think the button is on the dash, and if I remember right, Your button should have the light in it. Later mods the button is in the end of the colum shift lever, and is called "Cruise_Haul", on the dash.

The tranny automatically resets to O.D. whem the Ig sw is turned off.

IN other words pushing the button should keep the tranny from going into O.D., and the light should be on.

Hope this helps.

barracudadave67 aka Dave C.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:05 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's VERY common to have the OD switch bulb burn out...

Old 01-07-2010, 08:37 AM
97black_ram
Captain

Should push the button and light up and stops OD from working then push it again and light goes out and OD works again. And yes every time you turn the truck off it resets it.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:00 AM
foxea
Rookie

OK, I will check the light, but what could be wrong that the only way it turns the OD back on is to turn the truck off? Another quick question, since I have two switches, can I wire the other one up to be a on/off switch for fog lights? Will it work like that?

Old 01-09-2010, 04:39 PM
foxea
Rookie

Originally Posted by foxea
OK, I will check the light, but what could be wrong that the only way it turns the OD back on is to turn the truck off? Another quick question, since I have two switches, can I wire the other one up to be a on/off switch for fog lights? Will it work like that?

Can anyone help me on this one.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:54 PM
foxea
Rookie

I took apart the switch and the bulb is not burned out. Everything looked fine. What else do I need to take a look at? I see how it works so it looks like I can not use it for a fog light switch. Inside the switch, when you push the switch in it makes contact with two metal pieces and shorts them. When released the contacts are no longer touching the button. To turn it off the same process is done. The same two contact are shorted. With that being said is there a relay somewhere that turn the OD on and off since the contacts are not constident shorted when it is off or on. If that make since.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:22 PM
zje400ex
Captain

Hmm. My overdrive switch just stopped working too. Mine is located above the radio and it used to light up when i pushed it in and now it doesnt. I'd like to see what you figure out. I havent messed with mine yet

Quick Reply: overdrive switch