3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Dodge Ram 1500 Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

3rd brake light out?

Old 01-07-2010, 07:37 AM
CNFD
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd brake light out?

My 3rd brake light has been out for a while. None of the bulbs work (brake nor backup). So I've checked all the bulbs and connections and everything looks good so my next step would be a fuse. I tried looking at the fuse box lid but couldn't find anything relating to a "aux light, 3rd brake light, etc" sounding fuse. You guys know what fuse would control it or have any suggestions?

Old 01-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

There aren't any back-up lights in your third taillight, they are cargo lights. Try turning your cargo light on with your interior light switch and see if they are out. If so I'd start checking the wiring going down through the cab, gotta be a common spot in the harneess somewhere. With the light pulled off see if you have juice at the plug.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:49 PM
CNFD
Rookie

Sorry for the late response. I took of the 3rd brake light, double checked the connection and put it back on. Right now only the cargo lights come on when the dimmer switch is turned up all the way. However, the brake light does not light up. Would this bulb being out throw lamp out warning on the dash? I have an extra bulb so I'm going to go and swap it out real quick with a new one just to see if its that. I'll report back.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:08 PM
oneHEMI57
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face CHMSL is not another piece sa-cake

Originally Posted by CNFD
My 3rd brake light has been out for a while. None of the bulbs work (brake nor backup). ----snip snip -----You guys know what fuse would control it or have any suggestions?
CNFD, Before the brake lamps failed, did you do any work under the dash or around/remove the brake lamp switch?
Note and Caution: If the brake switch has been removed, it CAN NOT be reinstalled. As per the DamChrysler service manual, the switch can be adjusted ONCE, and that is at initial installation. A new switch must be installed and adjusted. There is a full page about the (CHMSL) Center High Mount Stop Lamp function.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:19 PM
oneHEMI57
Professional

THe Center High Stop Lamp is associated/monitored by the instru Cluster. I've heard there can be just a simple fix by replacing the bad box lamps.
Try locating a good service manual.

Last edited by oneHEMI57; 01-13-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by oneHEMI57
CNFD, Before the brake lamps failed, did you do any work under the dash or around/remove the brake lamp switch?
Note and Caution: If the brake switch has been removed, it CAN NOT be reinstalled. As per the DamChrysler service manual, the switch can be adjusted ONCE, and that is at initial installation. A new switch must be installed and adjusted. There is a full page about the (CHMSL) Center High Mount Stop Lamp function.
Don't beleive everything you read in the manual. I've had mine out before. Thought it was the problem when my brake lights didn't work once. When it didn't fix it, I put the old one back in and found the real problem. Still working fine 2yrs later, and now I have a spare. It is adjusted for your vehicle, so you can take it out and put it back in, but not supposed to use in aother vehicle.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:48 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

I think hey just had a bulb blown. Not to be mean, but the man did think that the cargo lights were back up lights.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:22 PM
CNFD
Rookie

I was going to try a new bulb but checked the manual and the bulbs are different sizes than the extra brake light one I have. Going to have to wait for a day off so I can get a new bulb and see if that works. And yes, I do know the difference between a back-up light and cargo light, I just misspoke in my original post.

Also I have not relocated any switches so I'm sure it's not because of that. The only thing that I've done to it is remove the entire light housing to smoke it. It was then that I realized that it was out, but to be honest it could of been put before that because I never checked it prior.

I guess my only question that remains is if the bulb is out (Which makes sense because the cargo lights work), would that give me a lamp out indicator?

Old 01-14-2010, 07:32 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

I'm just giving you crap man, don't get all upset about it. Do you have the lamp out indicator on? It may not throw the light since you only NEED your two main brakelights, I'm not sure about that one though. I just didn't want people to start looking at detailed stuff if it's just something simple like a bulb, you know? No offense brother.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:55 PM
oneHEMI57
Professional

LastOfThe59s, thats good stuff to hold on to. Never had to go into that branch to learn whats up against. Knowing what you mean about spares, thats good..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd brake light out?