1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

turn signals and brake lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 11:21 PM
bmxtay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation turn signals and brake lights not working

so i just bought a 95 dakota 3.9L on monday. today on my way home from work i realized that my turn signals weren't working. the tailgate light does work. when i got home i had a look at some things with me(fuses, relay). everything seems to be fine. i do know that yesterday my signals were working. i am not sure how to check the relay. i was just looking for some direction to fix my problem. thanks in advance. also i look forward to getting to know everone on the forum.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:35 AM
TheLoBO

I had a similar problem, but actually I never realized that The tailgate lights didnt worked till my dad was caught at night by the state cops, ****!!!!!!! way to know that ur tailgate lights dont work. :-(

Old 01-21-2010, 01:21 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It could be a faulty flasher unit, which is located on the interior fuse block.
The turn signal flasher unit is by fuse #19 and #20. (The hazard flasher is under fuse #16).
If you pull something off the fuse block that has more than two blades/terminals (the things that actually go into the fuse block), you haven't removed a flasher.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:15 AM
tmacdakota
Veteran

What do you mean by not working? No flash, but lights on? Probably the flasher in the fuse panel...guy at the parts store told me the turn signal and hazard light relays are the same...they are round with two blades on the back that plug into the fuse panel. No lights on at all? Check the FAQ thread at the top of this forum so you can check your fuses. No lights at all could be a fuse...no juice through the circuit at all.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:02 PM
bmxtay

I do have everything but turn signals, hazards and brake lights on the rear lights. i am going to do a circuit test today to make sure it isn't wiring problems. I just ordered a flasher.

Last edited by bmxtay; 01-21-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:16 PM
bmxtay

got it fixed. my hazards don't work period, but i didn't know that. and somehow they were left on so when i tried using my turn signals they wouldn't work because my truck thought the hazard were on. well i fell like a jackass now, but hey. live and learn.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:25 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

Got turn signals again, but no hazards? Check the F1 20-amp fuse in the power distribution box right by the battery. It feeds direct voltage to the hazard circuit, through the hazard relay in the fuse panel (under dash). If your hazards are still out, could need a new F1 fuse or hazard relay in the fuse panel.

Quick Reply: turn signals and brake lights not working