2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new Hemi motors.
They're Junk.
0%
Better than the old ones.
12.50%
I like the old one's better.
12.50%
The best Dodge Motor available today.
50.00%
Other Dodge Motors are just as reliable.
0%
Can't decide.
25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Dakota Hemi Swap!! With pics!!!

Old 01-16-2010, 12:25 AM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dakota Hemi Swap!! With pics!!!

I put a 2004 Hemi Rumble Bee Motor and Trany in my 2001 Quad Cab .I'm looking for a wiring harness and computer,to complete the build.But it can totaly be done.All you need is a torche and a welding machine and someone who knows how to use them...It's a pain in the *** otherwise....

Last edited by HemiDak-Quad; 06-03-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:47 AM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Default Hemi in a Dakota

I got my motor and trany very cheep from a freind who didn't need it.The truck came from another fraind,and was also "Very cheep".
I checked on getting the same horsepower out of my 4.7 as I would have in a stock Hemi PLUS rebuild.It was rediculous'$700.00 for a set of cams to add 30 horses ,$1,500.00 for the throttle body increase.plus changing the computer figuration,Chips;exhaust etc......etc.....It was going to cost more than the truck is worth...
I will have less than $1,500.00 into by truck when I'm finished AND I'll have my Hemi and a 5 spd trany instead of a four..
so my point is,if you can get a Hemi for less than you can fix a 4.7.It's worth getting what you truly want..."A Hemi"..

Old 01-23-2010, 09:41 AM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Default Hemi in a Dakota

If you want to put a Hemi in a "2-w.d.",Dakota,There are a few things you will need.Start with a cutting torch or cutoff wheel. A welding machine, a Saws-all, and that tool box full of tools.Dodge likes to use Metric and s.a.e.tools,not just one.
Pull the old motor, from here you have a choice depending on how much experiance you have fabricating steel,and how patient you are.You can either notch the cross-member or remove the oil pan and rebuild it.I notched my cross-member.I took all but three inches out of the back of it.Measure the oil pan and that's how wide the notch should be.
Next,measure the notch and re-support the cross member by welding steel accross the back and sides of the notch.I used 1/2" steel.It's solid.
Paint or undercoat the serface to prevent rust.NEXT I cut the motor mount purches off the frame.Grind smooth,You can use the same purches for the Hemi.
I installed the motor mounts on to the motor Leaving the bolt with plenty of room to install the purches once it's in the truck.My tranny is attached to the motor.Install the motor and tranny together if you can..It's going to be a tight fit going in,you have to have a floor jack under the tailshaft of the tranny.
Once it's in bolt up the Tranny cross-member,but don't tighten it all the way,bolt in the driveshaft.Now you want to move the floor jack to the oil pan and align the motor in it's new home.I did this by measuring the drive-shaft from the frame to the drive-shaft in the rear,then get the same measurement in the front behind the tailshaft.Once it's where you want it,and right up and down.bolt the purches on the motor mount.You will have to cut some off to get the right length from the motor to the frame.Tack Weld the purches to the frame,top and bottom. Lift the motor just enough to get to the purches and finish welding them.Drop the motor back down into the slots and tighten the bolts. Then Tighten the tranny crossmember bolts.RE-Measure everything and make sure nothing moved,Now you have a Hemi-In-a-Dakota.
GOOD LUCK.I'll try to put some pictures on here,But if you don't see any Write me @-gbgbrose@yahoo.com.and I'll send you some or answer any questions you have....

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 01-24-2010 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:34 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

.Drop the motor back in,. Tighten the tranny crossmember bolts Re-measure the driveshaft to make sure nothing moved.

Last edited by HemiDak-Quad; 06-03-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:50 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

Tighten the Motor moubt bolts,There will be a few things that will need to be modified to fit,like the air condition lines,but that's only a matter of using the parts off the Hemi Ram.I did not have the pleasure of getting the whole truck with the Motor and Tranny,So I'm having a hard time.Just remember IF you get the Motor and Tranny,TRY to get the whole truck,or as much of it as you can..
I can answer about any question,Ask me by writing me at gbgbrose@yahoo.com.
Once again GOOD LUCK....

Last edited by HemiDak-Quad; 06-03-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:09 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Okay I moved these posts and posted up pics. This is a sweet swap!

Old 01-24-2010, 03:41 AM
MadisonDakota
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much would you sell the truck for?

Old 01-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like that engine was meant to be in there lol
i wish i had the means to do a swap, id either do a cummins, 440, or one of the 5.7L hemis lol
i wanna know how well that thing will light the tires up

Old 01-24-2010, 11:17 AM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who said you need a nice garage to work on stuff, this guy did it in a field lol.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:04 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

Once I get the wiring done,I'll airbrush flames.Then I'm air-brushing this rumble bee behind the rear wheel well.A Taunnu cover for the bed with a spoiler and ground effects will be the finishing touch.On the tailgate it will read "Can you Hemi now!" with LOUD dually pipes comming out the back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dakota Hemi Swap!! With pics!!!