1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing Catalytic Converter

Old 01-25-2010, 11:57 PM
bigBonehead
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Catalytic Converter

'90 Ram 318 AT /stock

Is it possible without goofing anything up. I want to do a new dual exhaust install and would like to know...

Thanks,
b

Old 01-26-2010, 08:59 AM
aaron7
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Legally? No lol... even if your state does not have a sniffer test it's a federal offence to remove a catalytic converter; and you really won't be adding any more power.

Just do a pair of high flow cats. They're around $70 each; not bad.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:26 AM
MrCadillac

Your not going to hurt anything by removing the cat. There is really no point to put high flows on, unless you are concern with the smell of the exhaust without a cat, are worried about inspections/test. Or... if you are a hippie. We remove them off everything around here, and the police don't care. It might be a federal offensive, but when the PD that would be dealing with you doesn't care, then why bother spending extra to put them on. I don't know of anybody around here that has been sited for no cats. But in states that are strict about that, I do know a few people that get hit.

One reason I don't like to run cats, is because the exhaust tone & volume are so.... SO much better with no cats.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:48 AM
bigBonehead
Amateur

Thanks for the replies... I was mostly concerned with the ECM. If removing the cats won't screw up the ECM, then I can have a true duel exhaust.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:39 AM
aaron7
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you're using a Ramcharger gas tank (center mount)... how the heck are you doing true duals?

Old 01-28-2010, 03:23 AM
bigBonehead
Amateur

Well now, that's exactly the kind of info I need... Are there any other problems with doing this, and i seem to remember that the ECM has a wire that goes to the cat... I'm new to Dodge trucks... been a (oh no here it comes) Ford guy most my life... Any and all info/comments are welcomed.

b

Old 02-09-2010, 11:53 PM
schulteff

you can run the drivers side on the outside of the frame. you cross it over before the tranny brace (that thing hangs real low anyways you'll still be higher than it). i just did it a few days ago. you just gotta do your own pipe supports

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Catalytic Converter