3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 ram defrost, vent , floor hvac problems

Old 02-15-2007, 02:38 PM
camaroboy8691
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 ram defrost, vent , floor hvac problems

hey guys , im new to this furom , and also new to dodge stuff , i just bought my first 03 ram 2500 quad cab with a ctd last week

id take is back to the dealer where i got it but hes in illinois and im in pa sooo here i am stuck

when i have the vent **** on one setting it may take a few minutes before it goes there , sometimes i can have it on defrost and it will only go to the floor vents no matter where the **** is , sometimes i can put it on defrost and it will go right there , sometimes i can put it on dash vents and it will go right away and same with floor vents

its just really wierd , i asked a few guys on this drag race furom i go on everyday and a few said it may be the blend air door , it just seems wierd and makes me think it may be the actual control **** that is fualty

anyone came across this yet?

thanks ted

Old 02-15-2007, 03:01 PM
BigNelly07
Professional
Default RE: 03 ram defrost, vent , floor hvac problems

sounds like a vacuum problem, since thats how most of the manual climate controls work.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:30 PM
camaroboy8691

thats what i tought vacumm being a chevy guy i wouldnt even ask this quesion

but being new to the dodge family i was told on this model with the cummins it does not have vacumm it is all electrical , i had the center dash off already to put a radio in it and the plug that goes into the back of the control unit looks fine

its just hard to belive that a truck with only 61,000 is having this wierd problem

here is a link to a repair guide a guy gave me http://home.hot.rr.com/jlnun/BLEND.htm it tells how the system works it just seems like a servo or the control panel ****

Old 02-15-2007, 03:34 PM
BigNelly07
Professional

the issue I am having trouble with is that you say it sometimes works and sometimes dont. So its either a short or sticking....

Old 02-15-2007, 08:05 PM
camaroboy8691

ok i went out for a drive in the truck today , here is what it did

had it on defrost and floor , it was working great coming out both places , i turned the **** to dash vents only and air came right out no where else , had it on that position for a bit , then moved it to the floor only and it wnet there right away , figured ok must be my lucky day , turned it to defrost only and it didnt do anything

im just trying to see if anyone else had this problem before i take the dash out and the hvac to see whats up

Old 11-06-2007, 07:04 PM
rcockels

Here is an actual web site that shows the fix.There is a Bulletin on this issue.http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2002/24-004-02.htmI had the same problem, no defrost or floor air. Graually it worsens untill all you get is air only out of the bi-level, no matter what heating/AC setting you choose from the control ****. The fix was replacing the Panel Door Actuator and the Blend Door. This was all done without removing the HVAC!!! Yes, there were some removal of Dash and Glove box, but not to the extent of REMOVAL of the Whole Dash and HVAC Assembly. I walked out the door for $569.00 The actual problem on my truck was the plastic housing on the blend doorwhich became stripped and the panel door actuator could not turn the blend door any longer in any position.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:20 PM
rcockels

The Pencil is pointing at the WHITE PLASTIC BLEND DOOR HOUSINGIS WHICH TURNS THE BLEND DOOR
[hr]
Bingo, that was my problem. the Blend door themselves are in great shape, no cracks but the plastic housing is stripped! Save your paper work cause if Dodge does get a class action suit in a few years from now, you will have the paper work.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500

Old 12-01-2007, 12:34 AM
willyfish

Not to be stupid but what did you need to replace the actuator?

Old 12-01-2007, 04:17 AM
abarmby
Champion

ORIGINAL: rcockels

Here is an actual web site that shows the fix.There is a Bulletin on this issue.http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2002/24-004-02.htmI had the same problem, no defrost or floor air. Graually it worsens untill all you get is air only out of the bi-level, no matter what heating/AC setting you choose from the control ****. The fix was replacing the Panel Door Actuator and the Blend Door. This was all done without removing the HVAC!!! Yes, there were some removal of Dash and Glove box, but not to the extent of REMOVAL of the Whole Dash and HVAC Assembly. I walked out the door for $569.00 The actual problem on my truck was the plastic housing on the blend doorwhich became stripped and the panel door actuator could not turn the blend door any longer in any position.
Hi, Are you saying it cost you $569 for the actuator and blend door???
Al.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:31 AM
speeddemon145
Professional

my 04 1500 the blend door broke off at 40 k miles. so I pulled the blower motor and reached up inside and removed the broken door through the hole for the fan. now ac is working ok but not as cold becouse pulling air from inside cab and outside air at same time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 ram defrost, vent , floor hvac problems