2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no power to coil??

Old 02-09-2010, 06:39 PM
USAF90
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy no power to coil??

im havin problems figureing out why im not getting power to my coil. ive looked at some wire diagrams and that stuff is like russian to me. only know basic wiring knowledge.
anyway, the motor is turning over fine, and tested most everything to start the engine. the fault lead me to the coil pigtail. and as you all know the pigtail leads straight into the wiring harness and splits off in every direction. does anyone know where the coil wires lead directly to so i dnt have to tear open every wire wrap?? any troubleshooting tech? any help at all would be great.. im facin up against my worst enemy right now.

also another thing, i cut the insolater directly on the wire to show some of the copper/brass metal, and put my voltameter on the wire itself instead of the plug. the ohms jumped up "BARELY" .. so something is restricting it. let me know if you need more info or anything else i should test.. thnx guys

Old 02-09-2010, 07:10 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The PCM is what is restricting it. Try replacing the ASD relay and see what happens. Otherwise, I would look into the fact the PCM may be bad. Of course that is assuming you have checked all the wiring harnesses and the grounds everywhere. The CPS could possibly cause your prob too. And have you checked the fuel pressure with a gauge?

Old 02-09-2010, 07:15 PM
USAF90
Professional

ya im gettin fuel, checked with a guage a while back with a different problem, wont hurt to check it again tho. ill post the PSI when i get the chance. and i did change around some relays to replace the ASD relay. nothin changed. i thought about the CPS but wasnt sure.. im not an expert on the sucker, and dnt wanna assume anything either. but i have been googlen and finding stuff leading all back to the PCM. talkin about ground and such, using a testing like, ect. thats my next move. and harnesses are all connected, visually grounds are solid.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:39 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there's an extensive electrical test going on here regarding low voltage at the coil. its way down in the second half of the thread.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ing-right.html

Old 02-09-2010, 08:14 PM
USAF90
Professional

thanks dhvaughan, could really use one. also.. fuel pressue is 43 psi, rules that out..

Old 02-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your codes. If Crank sensor for these trucks goes bad you will have no power to the coil and that is the first place I would look. Then the cam sensor.

I think the crank position sensor throws a code 11 on my '94
it may be the sam for yours. Use the ignition trick if you don't have a reader.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:19 PM
USAF90
Professional

its not throwing any codes.. where is the crank sensor located?

Old 02-09-2010, 10:46 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by USAF90
its not throwing any codes.. where is the crank sensor located?
On the back of the motor on top of the transmission bellhousing.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:13 PM
USAF90
Professional

alright well i got it out.. its a nut buster but anyway i can test it with a voltameter.. just clean it off so far?? or good idea just to get a new one anyway

Old 02-10-2010, 12:30 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe its wet? You are driving through a river in your pic. I thought about replacing mine while my engine was tore down then seen they are like 100 bucks and got cheap. I would hate for you to clean it then still have issues but spending money for nothing sucks too

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: no power to coil??