1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

Ball joint recall info

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 07:53 PM
apristel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turns out my Avenger was in for the recall in 2001. I asked for them to replace the parts anyways and they replaced only the driver side lateral arm / ball joint. Mechanic said that it had wear and the passenger one was ok. I took it for a ride and it still has a little clunk when going over bumps. Maybe its not the ball joints, possibly the struts. Not really a big deal, just like to have things perfect. I guess its 13 years old...

Wish they would have done both, seems like a good idea to just do both right away. Not like they are really expensive parts. Labor would be more than the parts I assume.

Anyways, still a deal and thanks for the heads up on the recall.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:18 PM
HeartlessD

I called both the Chysler recall center and the local dodge dealer. There both telling me that the recall has been performed twice around 2002. When I asked if this recall could still be performed seeing I just purchased it, they told me they didn't see any where on the recall where it states its for the life of the car. Don't know where to go from here about this. Any other suggestions. I know the recall number was 976 if I remember correctly.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:19 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

READ the very first POST !!!!!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:44 PM
jesse309

so if the ball joint fails are they going to cover any of the repairs other then the arms and joints?

Old 12-21-2010, 04:40 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

YES I have seen them cover damaged fenders ect

Old 01-10-2011, 12:11 PM
HeartlessD

Originally Posted by bad venge
READ the very first POST !!!!!
I did, but here telling me that the recall is not for the life of the car. I spoke to several diff people about this. Once the recall has been performed, thats it. For those who have been getting it done more then once, I have no idea how. But there saying they cant do anything about it cause it has already been performed twice and there isnt anything else they can do.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:30 PM
22DODGE22

The recall is to replace a defective balljoint. I suppose they assume once the new and "improved" balljoints are installed, Chrysler has satisfied the recall. I could see where they addressed the problem, provided correction and that would appease the NTSB.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:17 AM
crisco4027

Just went in to get my ball joints inspected ('99 Avenger) and now they tell me they won't do it not because the ball joint isn't covered (it is) but because the knuckle may need to be replaced. The only thing I can think of is the steering knuckle. What does that have to do with my ball joint. (passenger side) I don't have the money for a $350 dollar part let alone the labor (3-6 hundred) because it is "very rusted" I've never been to a dealer to get my car fixed (I don't trust them) and I feel like I maybe getting snowed. Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated! I just wanna know if this sounds like an honest dealing. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:57 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

what EXACTLY are they calling the knuckle ?

Old 11-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Blue_Avenger
Default Dealer Will Not Replace Recalled Parts!

I dropped my car at the dealer this morning to have the recalled lower lateral arm ball joints replaced. I got a phone call saying they could not replace them without having the worn bushings on the lower CONTROL arms replaced. And because you can not replace the bushing without replacing the entire control arm, the cost would be $1200! Any advice would be so appreciated.

Quick Reply: Ball joint recall info