1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Overheating with ac

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:32 AM
JVenger
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating with ac

I'm having trouble with my 2000 avenger. It first started to heat up with the ac on and so eventually I would just turn the heater on full blast and then it would go down. I have checked the fluid reservoir several times and it has plenty of fluid. It never hit the H but it got somewhat close to it a few times. I did a flush on it back in april so i dont know if it might need another one cause I bought the car at the end of march and dont know how bad it was. I've changed the thermostat and radiator cap and shown little to no improvement. Please help before its found on roadside dead!

Old 07-19-2009, 08:36 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the fans , the one electric fan should kick on with the AC the other one runs of th thermostat ... They should BOTH be running if te temps rising and the AC is on

Old 07-26-2009, 09:11 PM
JVenger
Amateur

Checked it, both are on when ac is running. Don't know what it could be. I think the grille maybe dirty. I'll have to check that out. Thanks

Old 07-26-2009, 09:49 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flush out the system ???

Old 07-28-2009, 11:38 AM
JVenger
Amateur

I think I might need to either flush out the system again or replace the water pump. I'm not sure if its time to replace it because I dont know the history of the car. its quite possible that its time because I had to do a lot a things mechancially when I bought the car.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Killa200
Rookie

Originally Posted by JVenger
I think I might need to either flush out the system again or replace the water pump. I'm not sure if its time to replace it because I dont know the history of the car. its quite possible that its time because I had to do a lot a things mechancially when I bought the car.
If you have to go the water pump route make sure to check and if needed go for a timing kit while your down in that can of worms.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Ralphen
Default Related problem

I have a dodge neon 98, and it kept doing the same. The A.C. adds more to do to the radiator and fans. If your fans are good, and you see no water coming out, you may have a head gasket about to go. Check for oil in the coolant or any strange oily residue in the radiator. Try to check all coolant hoses, even the heater ones. Run the car without AC to check if it overheats the same or less.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:17 AM
Ridge

Sounds like a head gasket about to go to me. Thats what happened to me almost to a T on a taurus I used to have. It did that for a while then started ticking. Asked a mechanic about it, he said it sounded like the pickup tube was going out. I was going to to change it then noticed whitish foam in the coolant and engine. He told me it was a blown head gasket. But I don't know I'm not a mechanic. Just telling you what to look out for.

I would put in some Royal Purple purple ice radiator additive. It took the engine temp on my 2000 venger from the 2nd line to the top on the F looking mark to just right above the wavy water line. Now it just sits right there never budges. I think its also suppose to clean the seals on the water pump as well.

Quick Reply: Overheating with ac