1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

96 Avenger won't start

Old 12-09-2009, 08:38 AM
theonlyfalco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Avenger won't start

Hello everyone,
I have a 96 Avenger that cranks but just won't start. It was in the shop where it had a new computer put in it, and the mechanic said the timing was fine. He couldn't fix it either.
We have over the past two weeks, replace the camshaft sensor. The crank sensor has been replaced. Changed all the spark plugs, one was fouled out. It's getting fire and fuel. We thought of changing the relays, but since it's getting fuel and fire I figured that wouldn't be it.
What is the deal with these cars, I have spent a lot of time reading the message boards and it seems everyone has this problem. Any suggestions would be great.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:04 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the relays post and get the voltmeter out and Check them as well as the CPS testing procedure ,just cause you replaced the part doesn't prove it's good

Old 03-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Dodge*Demon
Unhappy Im having the same problem

I have a 96 dodge avenger 2.5 v6. We pulled the motor to repair an oil leak in the rear seal. While the motor was out we replaced all seals and gaskets, scoped out everything, cleaned it up and even repainted it. Motor is good. When we put it in, we got no spark to the plugs. So we replaced the distributor (which has the cam sensor, coil, and rotor button). Still no spark. So we replaced the crank sensor, fully charged the battery and still no spark. The 3 relays on the firewall all click when we turn the key. the fuel pump is working because we can hear it. Everything works when we turn the key. Dash lights, radio, interior lights, headlights and tail lights. But STILL no spark. We even changed out the big computer which I believe is the PCM (if im wrong please tell me so). And still no spark. Anyone know what I can do to get this car running again? PLEASE Im desperate.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:53 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'd check for voltage feeding the distributor ... no voltage start backwards
voltage , no spark bad distributor

Old 04-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Avenger1996

what about crank possition sensor?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:31 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You have to check for voltage first , the voltage feeds the sensors and the distributor/fuel pump ect ect ...You can keep installing parts and without the voltage you'll never ever fix it and waste hundreds of dollars

Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Avenger1996

True that my bad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 Avenger won't start