1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

96 avenger es sputters when given gas

Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 PM
frit91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 avenger es sputters when given gas

I got a 96 avenger es with a 2.5L V-6 that idles great but sputters and dies when I give it gas. I have put a new fuel pump, fuel filter, egr valve and coolant temp sensor on it and it still sputters when given gas. If I really ease into the gas it will rev up but if i try to rev it up quickly, it coughs, sputters, and dies. I did find that the previous owner put a piece of soda can behind the egr tube to block it off and after removing that the car di start up alot easier. Before removing the piece of can it would crank over and over before finally catching. Now it restarts immediately but can't be driven with its current issue. Anyone have any answers?

Old 01-18-2011, 07:18 AM
jahorman

Man i just bought a 98 avenger with the same motor and it is doing the same thing,,, I read alot of comments where people said to replace the plugs wires and distributor and rotor,, I guess there is a sensor in the distributor that can do this... I want to do mine but i am alittle scared about taking the manifold off to get to the back plugs,, Ive never done it.... I did take my air inlet deal off of the throttle body and I cleaned real good in there with carb cleaner,, I used a tooth brush and scrubbed all that black gunk out, and then right below there is the iac sensor and I took that off and cleaned it too with carb cleaner... When i put it back together it helped alot,, It doesnt die now but it still stalls some... Anyways let me know what you find out that is all i know for now,, Im trying to do this on my own and save money,, and there is no check engine light on in my car anyways...

Old 01-18-2011, 06:47 PM
frit91

The only thing I can think of yet is the fuel pressure regulator or possibly a clogged catalytic converter. My car starts and idles like a champ but falls on its face when given gas. I will try to clean the iac, but after you give it gas, the iac is bypassed, it is only used for idle or at least thats what the dealership mechanic said. But this is the same guy that had me swap out the other new parts with little improvement.I got tired of messing with it last night and listed it on craigslist and have had atleast 100 calls and texts and 5 people say they would be back tomorrow to get it. So hopefully it can **** someone else off. Good luck with ur avenger.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:52 PM
frit91

Well, I went outside,plugged in the torpedo heater and removed the throttle body. Took off the iac valve and cleaned the years of neglected built up gunk off of it and then cleaned where it fits in at with a small brush and half a can of carb cleaner. Let it all dry, reaasembled it, started the car, it idled at about 1000 for a little while and dropped back to 800 and purred just as pretty as it could. Revved it up and no hesitation, coughing, sputtering or dying. Lets just say that I removed its listing from craigslist before I logged on here. This just proves that it pays to check every post in this forum. Thanks guys!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:21 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd run some seafoam thru it next

Old 01-18-2011, 10:53 PM
frit91

Maybe I spoke to soon. Drove it around the block earlier (several times) and it ran perfect. Went out to leave about an hour later and it wouldn't start. When it did start, it would hardly idle and died immediately if given any gas. Now it is back to not starting at all. WTF! This car is a big steaming pile just waiting for me to trip and fall in. I am going to Rural King tomorrow to buy the last item for this avenger, a box of deer slugs. I will have the last laugh.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:18 PM
jahorman

Heh i dont know for sure if this mattered or not but when i cleaned my throttle and aic sensor and put it back together i unplugged the battery for 5 min then hooked it back up... Someone said this resets the computer or something but it seemed to work.. I took it on the highway and drove about 5 miles and then let it slow down to around 40 and coasted I think this is when the computer sets something... And yes SEAFOAM,, I bought a bottle of seafoam yesterday,, I put a third of it in my vacum line with the car running, I had to go real slow or it would kill the engine, then put a third of it in the engine where you add oil and the last third in the gas tank... shut the car off, I waited like 20 min, then I started it up and a bunch of **** came out of the exhaust,, drove around for awhile but WOW today I can tell a major difference,, I feel like a race car driver... That stuff gave my engine alot more power.... I still have a little stall in the motor when i give it gas in drive and reverse but i just rev a little higher and she is awesome... The only thing i wonder is when im in park the car idles great but the rpms are only about 5 to 6 hundred,,, is this low????? Definately use seafoam though and see what you think,,, just go to youtube and type in how to use it,, tons of demos

Old 01-19-2011, 02:39 PM
frit91

The damn thing won't even attempt to start. It is getting gas, got fire,and the injectors are getting pulse. Ant one have any experience with plugged or collapsed cat converters? What do I look for to check the cps? Any suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:36 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 PM
hemi4spd
All Star

if you think the cats plugged put a pressure gague where the 02 lives and look for excessive pressure.

the distributors on these things can be a curse (as they contain the coil, CPS, and work as a distributor) not cheap to replace either

check for dead spot in your TPS

just my $0.02

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 avenger es sputters when given gas